1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Burning pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by stayfit65, Feb 28, 2019.

1. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

Hi everyone,

I am still dealing with up and down burning stinging skin pain on my low back and butt. The only things that seem to help are exercise, a rub called Sombra and low dose benzo, which I am NOT currently taking. I am on Paxil but mainly so I can live.

I need some help with symptom management... I’m thinking of trying lowest (.125 mg) klonopin to see what happens. Right now my husband is fighting Melanoma. He’s doing good right now. I don’t know if this has anything to do with why it’s been worse lately...but I have a full-time job and a part-time job as a fitness instructor. I love both my jobs. I have to function. Any advice is appreciated.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi stayfit65, I'm sorry that you're going through this. I know you've been around quite a while - on and off the forum, some success, some setbacks, yes? I assume that you've properly determined that these symptoms are TMS?

I can only suggest that you go back to basics, which is to use the free-writing/free-association exercise from the SEP. The serious illness of a spouse is bound to create deep negative emotions that your brain will do its best to repress. These will probably have something to do with your own mortality, your freedom, and your fear of isolation or abandonment.

The fact that your husband s doing well right now may have caused your brain to turn to symptoms once again to distract you - whereas in the middle of a personal crisis (when things weren't as good) the crisis itself acts as the distraction.

Journaling always brings up stuff for me - sometimes it's not terribly shocking, or deep, or even particularly negative - but my brain is still distracting me from it.

Just remember, for journaling to work, you have GOT to be 100% honest about writing down everything that comes into your head, and then examining all of it. If you allow your brain to tell you what to write and what not to write, you'll achieve nothing.

Good luck,

~Jan

3. KevinMartilloViner

KevinMartilloViner Peer Supporter

Sorry to hear it. Check out this podcast interview, I talk a lot about what you're going through. Hope it helps!

https://audioboom.com/posts/7173184-057-kevin-martillo-viner-phd?fbclid=IwAR0vSXw6MfXJZx290rxvJTLrZiCdjTxsk-ItAbRQ9xOSNG68C_U-oCd5aHE (Audioboom / 057 - Kevin Martillo Viner, PhD)

4. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

@JanAtheCPA I work soooo much. I work a 40-hour week and do 4 hours a week fitness instructing. It’s impossible me to notice every thought and immediately write it down. I’m lucky to sit down on the sofa by 8 pm every night. I’m beginning to wonder if I really need to simplify my schedule in order to help myself. At this very moment I am sitting at my psychiatrist office to talk to him about low-dose klonopin or something similar.

5. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Did the klonpin help you

6. stayfit65

stayfit65 Peer Supporter

@Boston Redsox I wound up getting Xanax. It does seem to help. I don’t take it every day. But to get through rough patches it helps. I also have Vistaril for sleeping. Xanax has a longer half-life so it’s not as powerful as Klonopin. Vistaril is non-addictive so I use that more. I just recently weaned off Paxil so I needed a helper for that process. How are you doing? Msg me anytime—I would love to hear from you.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  7. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

You better check with your dr Xanax as a very short 1/2 life and klonpin is a very long lasting benzo ...Paxil did not help at all with anything basically doing my daily stressors and klonpin helps I don’t take it everyday but it does quit the pain down significantly..My sub c still hasn’t given up at all....it says BS to Tms I need to tell it your wrong