1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Broken Brain series free start today.

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JoeHealingTms, Jan 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. JoeHealingTms

JoeHealingTms Peer Supporter

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hard to find information about this guy, but I think he is quite focused on diet and supplementation. I found an article he wrote reviewing his own series, in which he mentions "community" as one of five issues, but the other four all seem to be about diet. And thyroid is on his list.

3. Timbercat

Timbercat Well known member

4. Timbercat

Timbercat Well known member

Interesting that the Broken Brain would show up today on the forum. I live in Cleveland with easy access to the Cleveland Clinic. A friend sent me a text about the broken brain. I spent time this am trying to figure out if there is anything that could help me. Dr Mark Hyman is Director of cleveland clinic functional medicine center and a family practice physician. It looks like he spends his time writing books about nutrition -- I always question MD's who write about nutrition as I am a retired registered dietitian. Looks like he also makes the rounds on TV shows. Dr Oz, etc. If you want to see what the program consists of, google Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine. It describes the details. I don't know about Mark Hyman. Part of me wants to believe someone like him has found a way to help treat the whole person instead of "pieces and parts" and part of me thinks he is just another successful charlatan. I would be interested in what others find about him.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Special diets, food fads, and supplements as a one-stop "cure" for what ails you, might work for a while, and for different reasons:

- One reason is that if the diet is replacing a crap diet, you will definitely feel better about yourself, and your body will undoubtedly react positively on some level.

- Another reason might be the distraction effect of focusing on a special diet - we all know that the TMS mechanism in our brains is happy to exchange distractions from time to time.

- But the primary reason why special diets and supplements work for a while, is the power of the placebo effect. So these food gurus, whether they know themselves to be charlatans or not, can usually see and show successes for their programs and treatments. But long-term followup?

We here know that the only real path to recovery lies in self-knowledge, and the will power to change our negative and fearful brains. Food fads and supplements ain't gonna do it.

MindBodyPT likes this.
  6. JoeHealingTms

JoeHealingTms Peer Supporter

Well, the first thing I said when I posted is that I had not seen the series, since it is new and started this week. The advertising about the presentation looked interesting and also as I said, if there is information there that would help anyone here at least a bit, it would be good. Now, I am going to have to agree to disagree with some points. Most people that comes to this forum make a big mistake of doing exactly the opposite of Dr. Sarno approach. The main thing with TMS and other psychosomatic conditions is to recognize that there IS a connection between mind and body. Other books that I have read goes even further by recognizing the mind/body/spirit connection, which is not recognized in Sarno's book. To think that the interconnection between these 3 can only go one way would be doing a disservice to everyone. There IS continuos back and forth between them and each one of them CAN affect overall health. That is why many people come here, do everything told, gets discouraged when they do not get complete healing even after doing what they are told and then go on to discredit tms as a valid therapy or principle. That is also where the "everything is tms" syndrome comes, which in certain way will make a person look like a hypochondriac.

The other thing is that we use the words "subconscious, conscious, psycho this and that " etc, and fail to realize that these are abstract things. These are models and constructs of the mind we have build ourselves to try to understand the mechanism of action, and made rules and generalizations, and creating a method to use for treatment. We can not SEE any of these abstracts. The only thing we can see is the physical brain, and now with modern technology, how different parts of the brain turn on an off when we do or think about a specific thing. We then take that and give it the meaning that we see fit to understand something. That is why some people can embrace a concept and make it work for them, and others cant. Have anyone ever wondered or thought that in tms we are actually convincing ourselves or reprogramming our brains with an abstract concept, and what makes it work is our belief in the concept??? We can not see how the brain interacts with the so called subconscious, yet just thinking that we "understand " a mechanism of action and we visualize it in our brain and believe it makes it work. Does that makes sense? In other words, we are working with the concept of faith healing here. I know a lot of people will bark to the concept but that is what we are actually doing.

So, can the body affect the brain in the same way that the brain affect the body? Can our spirit affect them both brain and body? Are there interactions between the 3 that affect each other ? If I am to believe that TMS, derived from such as abstract concept as consciousness(which is undefined by science yet, and also undetectable by any machine) then I have to also believe in the interaction of these 3. Eating junk food, contaminating the body and environment in which our brain dwells and then expecting it not to come back in a negative way, would be a fantasy. We have contaminated our food sources so much that we had to make a difference between "health food " and normal food. What this tells us about what we are eating? We put poisons while growing plants. We put poisons, antibiotics and hormones on the animals we eat, we put fluoride and more poisons on the water we drink, put even more poisons on the air we breath and then expect that it wont come in any way. That is a fantasy. TMS might be a real concept, but as with everything else , is not the ONLY concept of truth, and not attending what you eat or the environment of the body, mind and soul will have equally devastanting effects in our health. Sometimes, we would not be able to change our brains, if they are (for example) contaminated with aluminum, or mercury, or other toxins. A computer can only work if both the software and the hardware are healthy, and if the electricity(soul) of it is flowing correctly by the hardware. Those are my 2 cents. Health is a whole environment thing, both inside and outside.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018