1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

BREAKING NEWS : Glucosamine supplements don’t help knee or hip arthritis pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Tennis Tom, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Tennis Tom. Glucosamine supplements didn't help me, either. Web sites say the same.
    TMS is the answer. Has anyone found any pain-killer supplement that works? I doubt it or it would
    be generally known. I've been taking CBD oil to test it, but so far I can't say it does any good for pain
    or anxiety.

Lily Rose likes this.
  3. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

I found it significantly and even dramatically reduced my anxiety. This gave me room to address and maintain the depression far better. The way I understand it, CBD doesn't so much address the pain. THC, however, is supposed to do that. I cannot take that route, as I have a severe reaction to it. But with the reduction in anxiety, everything else becomes more attainable. CBD cannot make you 'high' (a sensation I very much dislike). For me, it is an 'absence' of sensation, rather than invoking a sensation. The absence is the fear/anxiety. Quality matters. Don't give up on it just yet. You might try another source?

p.s. I am still in love with your photo!

.... with Love & Gratitude ^_^

4. Plumcrazy

Plumcrazy Peer Supporter

Well, my hubby quit taking it a few years ago, while I found that I needed it. BUT, we all know about the placebo affect. Maybe I will do a trial period without it.

Walt, I take turmeric capsules.

5. Tennis Tom

Hi Walt,

Diclofenac sodium 75mg 2x daily, (Voltaren). A recent study published in the Lancet, a reputable medical journal, published the results of a meta-study on NSAIDS, and said it was the best. I got an rx for it and subjectively feel an improvement of 30%, which makes all the difference for me staying in the game. I pay about $9 a month for it. It's an older drug so after the initial study broke, there was little buzz about it--probably because it was already a generic and couldn't be sold for a lot of money. If you google it I'm sure you'll find the Lancet study and a lot of discussions by users at the drug web sites.

I must have ingested half a ton of gluco-chron (seems like the stuff that is hardest to spell has the best placebo effects), until I heard about the studies a few years back that found it was worthless. I've heard when a big retailer of it was told there was no product in their product they said, "Thank you, but it sells very well."

6. Tennis Tom

http://www.newsmax.com/Health/Health-News/glucosamine-supplements-joint-knee/2017/08/11/id/807098/ (Glucosamine Supplements Don't Help Joint Pain: Study)
    Glucosamine Supplements Don't Help Joint Pain: Study
    [​IMG]
    (Copyright iStock)
    Friday, 11 Aug 2017 11:52 AM

Oral glucosamine, a natural supplement often marketed for joint pain, has no more effect than a dummy pill, according to a new review of available research.
    The analysis of randomized controlled trials from which data have been made public found that at both three-month and 24-month follow-up points, the supplement had no effect on either hip or knee pain from arthritis.

Even analyses of the results for sub-groups of study participants, such as overweight people or those with high inflammation, found no benefit with the supplements.

“Most recent guidelines conclude there is an overall lack of efficacy of glucosamine, however, we knew that osteoarthritis could affect subgroups differently,” said senior study author Sita Bierma-Zeinstra of Erasmus University Medical Center in Rotterdam, the Netherlands.

The most recent report from the U.S. National Center for Health Statistics found that Americans spent nearly $13 billion in 2012 on natural product supplements, and glucosamine was one of the most popular.

The Osteoarthritis Research Society International and the U.S. National Institute for Health and Care Excellence recently issued guidance about the lack of evidence for glucosamine as a cure for joint pain.

“Before we threw the baby out with the bathwater, however, it was important to know whether different subgroups could have some effect,” Bierma-Zeinstra told Reuters Health by email.

The researchers analyzed data from randomized, controlled trials conducted between 1994 and 2014. Of the 21 studies they found on the subject, only six shared data through the OA Trial Bank, an international collection of data from trials conducted worldwide. None of the trials included in the analysis was funded by industry, the authors note.

Five of the trials, which altogether included more than 1,600 patients, compared glucosamine with a placebo. Five of the six studies investigated knee osteoarthritis, and one looked at hip osteoarthritis.

Overall, the effects of glucosamine and the placebo on pain and physical functioning didn’t differ, either in the short-term or one or two years later. The supplement was also no better than placebo among subgroups based on pain severity, severity of osteoarthritis, age, body mass index, gender or signs of inflammation.

7. pspa

pspa Well known member

The irony is that sales wont go down by one dollar and all the practitioners recommending it will keep doing so. Just like all the studies showing acupuncture and homeopathy are placebos only have no impact.

8. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Funny, veterinarians prescribe glucosamine/chrondotin for dog arthritis/pain and it is reported that dogs respond to this with better movement, etc. I wonder if it is the expectation of the pet owners that give benefit to the dog? Human/dog mind merging? Shades of Spock?
    Lainey

9. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Also, to add, I took Diclofenlac Sodium 75 for about two weeks, about 5 years ago. While following instructions to eat while taking the pills I found it helped with the pain BUT one morning after taking the pill, with food, I thought I was having a heart attack. Severe chest pains. I stopped taking this then. Sigh. (BTW, I had not had a heart attack)
    Lainey

10. Tennis Tom

Yah, I had a couple of cats over the years that I spent WAY too much money on with vets-- they gave them glucosamine chrondroitin--they died. But I'm sure the g/c didn't cause their demise, nor have any effect on them good or bad--just like the half ton of the crap I swallowed for years.

" We had your "product" analyzed, and found that there was no product in it.

"Thank you very much for that info--but it does sell very well."

11. Tennis Tom

Sounds like a panic attack, I've had a couple of those too over the years--one does get a bit panicky when one thinks they are dying of a heart attack. The first time it was triggered by a stressful crime incident, followed a few days later having a double Bailey's Mocha cappucino with eggs benedict for brunch.

You may be making a wrong association blaming the diclo/Voltaren for the incident. It's an older med so most of the people who are going to die from side effects have done so--the side effects seem to be the same as for any NSAIDS. I figure if I'm going to get an ulcer from NSAIDS, I might as well get it from the most effective one. The trick with NSAIDS is not to keep upping the dosage--if two is good them eight must be better--eventually one is going to get stuck in hour alimentary canal and burn a hole through it--watch for those dark "tarry colored stools" and unusual fatigue--time to cut back and see the doc.
    Boilerplate: I'm not a doc or a pharmacist, I'm only a tennis player so don't sue me if things turn to 8888.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2017
    Lainey likes this.