1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Bicycling with backpain ...

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Tom Bultman, May 19, 2013.

1. Tom Bultman

Tom Bultman New Member

Is there anyone out there with TMS who is a competitive cyclist or some other athlete? I am an avid cyclist and have been for 30 years. I commute, ride group rides and race. I love it. I've had minor back pain for the past 16 years, but in the last 9 months it has gotten worse. I'm not sure why, but it is driving me crazy. I cannot cycle at the level I want to. I have been doing the education program and am about 2 weeks into it. So far it has been up and down - better days and not so god days. I still ride and train but I wondering how possible it is going to be ride seveal thousand miles this year and to ride (race) at a high level. I've love to talk to a competitve athlete who has been down this road and gotten out of the grip of TMS.

2. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

Tom, you might search for Enrique's posts. He is a triathlete with TMS.

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Increasing physical activity really depends on each individual person. Sarno recommends waiting until you have a significant reduction of symptoms before becoming active again, and I tend to agree with this. While physically there is nothing to prevent you from being active, you may develop frustrations if you symptoms increase, even if it is simply overexertion. Of course, since you are already cycling, you could probably continue to do it. You can start at your current level and slowly build up to where you want to be. Pacing is the key here.