1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

ARE POSITIVE AFFIRMATIONS/THOUGHTS B.S

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Boston Redsox, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Thx you all for your post and maybe my affirmation are tonfar fetched and i feel this way about them. I think Dr hanscom approach is a little more Approachable for the mind especially is negetive writing aprroach to get it all out on paper. All i know is that i been working at this for awhile and i am looking for some belief in the process

2. Markus

Markus Guest

I do the negative writing. I don't think I just write. I think his stand on affirmations is not negative but he (don't quote me), believes they should be about ourselves. Like you could say"I'm good at what I do", things about yourself.

3. Mala

Mala Well known member

Marco there are affirmations & then there are affirmations. For example if someone just sits on their butt & keeps reiterating that they r going to become a millionaire then it isn't going to happen. That would be equivalent to wishful thinking. We r not talking about that here.

Also positive thinking or visualisation has nothing to do with suppressing yr feelings or emotions. They r 2 entirely different things. You can continue to do the emotional work as you wish & at the same time.

The idea of positive thinking is to try & get away from negative thinking which we as humans have a tendency towards.

Positive affirmations seem like BS initially becoz yr brain is not used to that way of thinking. Often when in pain or depression the mind chooses to create even more negative , catatrosphic thoughts. It then becomes almost necessary to force ourselves to think positively & visualise a better outcome otherwise we will just sink into even more depression.

The choice is to visualise & change the chemicals in the brain thru positive, happy thoughts & mindfulness or take drugs. Both have the same effect of changing chemicals in the brain but which would u rather choose?

When we do that the body will respond as such. The changes will be subtle and at first hardly noticeable but with constant practice you will see subtle shifts in yr perceptions, mood & mental outlook which can only have a positive impact on yr physical well being too.

I suggest u do it diligently for at least a couple of months & see what changes occur before deciding whether it is BS or not.

Mala

4. Boston Redsox

Mala

Thx u can u give me a example for a pos aff that would be believable to my brain...something like i am getting better everyday? But i am not. Can u give me some examples please.

5. Mala

Mala Well known member

I think that whatever affirmation u make must be believable to YOU & yr subconscious mind at some level in order for it to work & should trigger some feeling in u.

I can't say what will work for u, its something u will have to work on but maybe:

I accept that I am in pain & I am working on managing it better everyday.

My positive thoughts will make me healthy.

The medication I take will help me heal.

Today I feel better & this is a positive indication that my body has the ability to heal.

Hope this helps

Mala

Alyssa5 and mike2014 like this.
  6. Boston Redsox

Thx u Mala very kind of u to take the time to write these for me

7. Boston Redsox

How about this: i will not fear my pain my pain is from my emotions

sjcy and JanAtheCPA like this.
  8. Mala

Mala Well known member

What do u feel when u say it? What feeling does it trigger?

Why don't u try it for a few days & see what effect it has.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  9. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

10. Boston Redsox

I will thx u

11. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

Wow, Balto. That is one heck of a post, and it actually helped reduce my pain quite a bit today. Definitely gonna keep up with the positive affirmations and try my best to truly believe in what I am saying aloud. Belief, repetition and patience.

12. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Like this thread! I tell kids all the time that the brain is their most powerful tool. Imagine if we could harness even 10% of that power!
    Sarno's work is the ultimate proof that our brains have power over illness.
    I admit I felt silly when first practicing affirmations, but I used the "fake it until you make it" advice and ultimately changed those neuro pathways that Balto and Jan mentioned. Yay for success!

JanAtheCPA and giantsfan like this.
  13. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

That's great to hear, Gigi. I think my subC started to recognize that my words and thoughts were shallow and meaningless (like a cheap actor who's filling in for someone else). That and the fact that I had slowly stopped using the affirmations. I figure if I just keep on repeating positive thoughts and words (100's of times a day) that my mind will eventually start to believe what is actually true. Yes, I agree, it feels quite cheesy at first, but today I gained some pretty heavy evidence that affirmations do work and that better proves to my gut that this is all just TMS. Intellectually this is all understandable and believable, but my gut still needs more brainwashing lol.

Gigi likes this.