1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Antidepressants

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Onebrokelady, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Onebrokelady

Onebrokelady New Member

Hi everyone,I've been on antidepressants on and off for the last 16 years, I was prescribed them when I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia,I now know that this is TMS and am just beginning to follow advice here and elsewhere to deal with this, my question at the moment is would it be advisable to come off the anti depressants at the same time as doing the work. I take Prozac and I have to stay although I'm aware of my feelings I'm not able to express them, In effect this drug makes me feel numb when it comes to my feelings, I can objectively see that I'm sad or angry but I can't express it, I'm wondering if this isn't helping,so should I warn off them now while I begin the work or wait until I've been doing the work for a while and then wean off them
    Thanks in advance for any opinions

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

You might try doing a keyword search and limit your results to our Success Stories subforum. I know that this has been discussed many times, and I believe that the general consensus is to not go off the meds too fast, and preferably do so with the support of an appropriate health professional who supports a mindbody diagnosis.

In the meantime, view medication as a temporary tool, rather than as a crutch - you want to be trying to think constructively rather than negatively, at the same time that you are thinking psychologically instead of physically!

The most important thing to always remember in doing this work is that our brains are naturally wired to be negative - always watching out for danger, and assuming the worst. This is what we have to fight against, and it is not easy, especially for anyone who is prone to anxiety and depression. The downward pull of the negative brain is extremely powerful. I only experienced it a few times in my last few really bad months "Before Sarno" and I hope I never ever get close to that shit ever again. It really scared the crap out of me. That was 8 years ago, and perhaps you will find this brief account helpful, or at least interesting:
    https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/bookmarks/608/view-item (Bookmark | TMS Forum (The Mindbody Syndrome))

~Jan

3. Onebrokelady

Onebrokelady New Member

Hi Jan
    Thanks for your reply, that makes perfect sense to me,I will go off and do a search to find out more

4. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

I wouldn't make a big deal out of the Prozac. I've been on and off it for years and it has helped me with my mood in general. The Book by Claire Weekes, is the best and may be all you need. If you need to be on an anti depressant, however, it's not something to judge as good or bad. Anything that helps you to reason better and give you a more accurate outlook is a tool. You may find that you don't need to take it anymore. For now though, if it is helping you, that's great and it doesn't contraindicate the TMS approach.

karly_mac and stayfit65 like this.