1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Affirmations

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Eric "Herbie" Watson, Feb 15, 2013.

1. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I really like the the affirmation list by john kehoe
    i keep some in my back pocket-
    im calm,relaxed,patient and confident is one of my favorites-
    the other is i forgive and let go easily-mix these with sarnos twelve reminders
    and you got a powerful combonation.
    do these all the time ,every day on purpose and in about 30 days you will
    see a huge difference in the way your thinking and feel
    really you have to learn those affirmations and reminders by heart
    then youll see this really is working and you can go up the ladder of freedom
    i had to learn the affirmations by jon kehoe to get to a great understanding of the power of affirmations really working.
    We use them all day not knowing and doubting ourselves any how-
    hurting ourselves with words of discouragement
    see anything we think is an affirmation
    the positive affirmations above help us reverse this conditioned response of negativity- which you
    simply recondition in about thirty days with the positive relaxing affirmations all day long.
    it give your body personal power too,youll just start to feel better-
    and always study the tms sarno books,steve ozaniches -the great pain deception...etc..
    of course the emotions are always negative and self limiting emotions
    while were feeling in pain or having anxiety.
    but really,if you get good at affirmations-you will be emotion colapsing in 30 days
    extra tools go a long way ,
    remeber when you say or think the affirmations always do it with all your spirit
    completly get into the whole mantra-
    master the affirmations-then step up to your next level you want to acheive in life
    we will soon realize all the affirmations are talking to our conscious
    and telling our mind ,im confident, at peace, and strong.
    i like saying that affirmation when i awake in the morning if im tired
    and i do it for calrity and confidence too.
    so then we will have goals to be in control of our emotions at all times
    well thats what affirmations open the door for you to do

jennyc19 likes this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I like what you said about how anything we think is an affirmation. It's true. Everything we think is something that we are saying to ourselves. We can either send ourselves positive messages or negative ones. The choice is ours and no matter what we choose, our unconscious will remember what it has heard.

In neuroscience, there is a saying that "neurons that fire together also wire together." Very loosely speaking, this means that if you always think hopeless thoughts whenever you think about your future, then the neurons that represent your future and the neurons that represent the feeling of hopelessness are always firing together. This means that they "wire together" as well, so that whenever you think about your future, you will feel hopeless. However, if, whenever you think about your future you feel hopeful, then that is what your unconscious will learn, and it will be a virtuous circle, a positive self-reinforcing loop. Good affirmations can help you get out of the bad loop and into the good one.

A related thread that some people might like is my post about "Feeding the Wolf vs. Lancing the Boil." I wrote it a while back, but I remember being proud of it.

Eric, I've added this post to your blog, currently titled, The Path To Freedom. Feel free to make any changes in the Google doc I sent you and I'll update the blog index, as we discussed. I also added it to our Affirmations wiki page, in the See Also section at the bottom.

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I also got John Kehoe's book, Mind Power into the 21st Century, which you mentioned in the first line of your post. It will probably take me a very long time to get to it given the length of my reading list, but every journey starts with a single step.

4. Eric "Herbie" Watson

[Quote-Forest)- I like what you said about how anything we think is an affirmation. It's true. Everything we think is something that we are saying to ourselves. We can either send ourselves positive messages or negative ones. The choice is ours and no matter what we choose, our unconscious will remember what it has heard.

(Eric)-yes when i learned this i was like can i hear that again -then when i did,i was like wow.

[Quote-Forest)- In neuroscience, there is a saying that "neurons that fire together also wire together." Very loosely speaking, this means that if you always think hopeless thoughts whenever you think about your future, then the neurons that represent your future and the neurons that represent the feeling of hopelessness are always firing together. This means that they "wire together" as well, so that whenever you think about your future, you will feel hopeless. However, if, whenever you think about your future you feel hopeful, then that is what your unconscious will learn, and it will be a virtuous circle, a positive self-reinforcing loop. Good affirmations can help you get out of the bad loop and into the good one.

(Eric)- i really like this forest-it talks about how not only thinking good but what happens when we think those negative thoughts weve all grown to love and know so well but we cant figure how to get rid of them-well just train the brain like any other habit to do these good things for you as allow a person to just normally think good thoughts,wouldnt that be so cool if everybody just normally all the time thought good thought-
    we all know the journey we have is very hurtful at times and we dont know why but if we give in to the old way of thinking that we grew up too and wallow there for years,the impact is treacherous but the cure really is tms healing,sarno tells us how to think in reverse and that thought is hope,
    i love the positive self reinforcing loop you allowed us all to see-im going now to add this to my memory file and to my life.this loop exsist in all those you see just happy for no reson all the time-we say they have a glow about themeselves and really they are glowing with these positivly charged ions of positive power.

[Quote-Forest)- A related thread that some people might like is my post about "Feeding the Wolf vs. Lancing the Boil." I wrote it a while back, but I remember being proud of it.

(Eric)- i love this post so much-when i read it you really opened my eyes to alot of powerful thoughts again i applied to my life-thanks forest

[Quote-Forest)- Eric, I've added this post to your blog, currently titled, The Path To Freedom. Feel free to make any changes in the Google doc I sent you and I'll update the blog index, as we discussed. I also added it to our Affirmations wiki page, in the See Also section at the bottom.

(Eric)- thanks for adding the post-im forever greatful for all your help forest,your a power house of hope.
    to be added to the affirmations page is awesome forest-that page has helped me so much
    I copied it as soon as i started my journey.thanks again
    im going to be working on the page today
    ill be calling within a few days or so-ill let ya know-thanks

ps. i love this - if, whenever you think about your future you feel hopeful, then that is what your unconscious will learn, and it will be a virtuous circle, a positive self-reinforcing loop. Good affirmations can help you get out of the bad loop and into the good one.

5. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Yes this book by John Kehoe , -its a really good read
    i thought youd like this excert

From chapter 5: Mind Power in the 21st century by John Kehoe
    Affirmations are probably the easiest and simplest technique I know of to influence and affect the conscious mind. They have been used for centuries throughout the world in such spiritual and magical practices as prayers and mantras. Now they are being used by people from all walks of life to close business deals, heal ailments, meet people, win tournaments, and in countless other applications.Affirmations are simple statements repeated to yourself silently or aloud, whatever feels most comfortable and practical to you at the time. You can do them anywhere—in your car while you're driving, sitting in a doctor's office waiting for an appointment, lying in bed before you go to sleep. You decide upon a statement that represents what you want to have happen to you, and you repeat it to yourself over and over again.For example, let's say you're in a situation that usually up-sets you and makes you tense when you'd prefer to be relaxed and calm. This is the perfect time to use an affirmation.Quietly repeat to yourself, "I feel calm and relaxed. I feel calm and relaxed. I feel calm and relaxed."
    Don't try forcing yourself tofeel calm and relaxed, just keep repeating the statement to yourself for a couple of minutes. Likewise, if you have a big meeting coming up and you want it to go well, begin affirming to yourself beforehand, "It's going to be a great meeting. It's going to be a great meeting. It's going to be a great meeting."
    WHAT ARE YOU DOING WHEN YOU DO AFFIRMATIONS?
    When you are doing affirmations you are influencing the thoughts that occur in your mind. Your mind can hold only one thought at a time, so an affirmation works by "filling''your mind with thoughts that support your goal. The words suggest to the mind what it should be thinking. If you'reaffirming to yourself, "It's going to be a great meeting," your mind will quite naturally begin thinking related thoughts about it being a great meeting. Your mind effortlessly picks up the implications and message of your affirmation. It sounds very simple, but this technique can be remarkably effective in helping you gain the results you want.Make whatever you want to see happen into an appropriate affirmation and use it regularly. One successful salesman I know begins each day with the affirmation, "Lots of sales, lots of smiles," and he repeats this to himself for several minutes in the morning and several times throughout the day.
    THINGS TO REMEMBER WHEN YOU ARE DOING AFFIRMATIONS
    1. You don't necessarily have to believe them! In fact,anyone who's ever been unsuccessful in using affirmations has probably been trying to force them-selves to do just that. This mistake can actually nullify the effects of the affirmation. Don't worry about believing, just keep repeating. If you do believe what you are affirming, great! If you don't believe it, that's fine too. It doesn't matter. The conscious mind will quite naturally pick up the content of whatever you are affirming, and the correct thoughts will seep into your consciousness. You don't have to force anything.
    2. Always affirm in the positive. Make a positive statement, not a negative one. For example, if you want to see a meeting go well, you wouldn't say,"I'm not going to blow this meeting." If you want to be calm and relaxed you wouldn't affirm, "I'm not going to be uptight." For some reason the mind doesn't pick up the "not" and you find yourself programming "blow the meeting" or "uptight." The mind will focus on these self-destructive images and not on what you want.
    3. Keep your affirmation short. An affirmation should be like a mantra: short and simple, easy to say, and easy to repeat. I like to keep my affirmations to ten words or less. Sometimes even two words can be very effective: "tremendous success" or "record sales."
    I have had people show me affirmations that were half a page long. There's no way you can say an affirmation that long repeatedly. Even two sentences is too long. Repetition is what will imprint your affirmation into your consciousness,so the shorter the better. I repeat: make it short, make it rhythmic, make it easy to say.Be careful that you don't use affirmations against yourself without realizing it."I'll never get it done,""I'll never do it,""It's impossible,""I'm blowing it,""I'm a disaster at relationships,""I know I'm going to make a mistake,""I'm always losing,"are all affirmations that you can find yourself repeating to yourself without even realizing it. Watch out for them.Let me share with you an experience that happened to me on a recent lecture tour. Halfway through the tour, I looked at my schedule for the following months and couldn't believe my eyes. I was being routed from one city to another with hardly any breaks and was even expected to be in two different cities on the same day! I began thinking that the up-coming month would be an impossible, stress-filled pressure cooker, and that's what I actually started telling myself— "This is going to be a pressure cooker." For two or three days I felt increasingly tense and uptight in anticipation of the dreadful next leg of the tour. I cursed the person who had set this ridiculous schedule for me.Then I caught myself. I had to laugh. Here I was teaching mind power, and I'd unwittingly fallen into a trap of my own making. Nice affirmation, "I'm in a pressure cooker!" So I made myself a new affirmation focusing on just three words:
    Organized, Relaxed, and Fun, and I repeated this to myself for several minutes. The next morning I began the day with the same affirmation, and I repeated it whenever I started thinking about my hectic schedule. Within a few days I began thinking that as long as I was organized and relaxed, the marathon pace might be fun. What was I getting all up set about?In the end, those three words made all the difference. My schedule didn't change, but my attitude towards it did. The tour that I had almost made into a pressure cooker for myself turned out to be a breeze. I was organized, relaxed, and had fun rushing about to meet the challenge, once I changed from a negative to a positive affirmation.You too can create affirmations and use them throughout your day to help you accomplish the things you want. They are easy to say and can be done anywhere—in the bank line-up, in the waiting room, or when stuck in traffic. You don't have to believe them. You don't have to do them with the literal belief that you "have it." All you have to do is repeat them! I'd suggest starting first thing in the morning, because that crucial first half-hour sets the tone for the rest of your day. As little as two or three minutes of practice will soon produce a noticeable effect.
    "Every day in every way, it's getting better and better."
    The name Emile Coue may not be commonly known to-day, but at the turn of the century, this pioneer in affirmation techniques was curing illnesses and teaching his discoveries in clinics all over Europe and North America. He caused quite a sensation in his day and his work is still talked about today, decades after his death. Coue found that his patients recovered much better, and more quickly, if they repeated a simple affirmation every morning upon rising, and every evening before going to sleep. The affirmation he taught them was, "Every day in every way I'm getting better and bet-ter." Two minutes in the morning. Two minutes in the evening. That's all. The effect was so dramatic that he wrote several books on the subject of self-suggestion and taught people around the world the curative properties of the mind when directed towards recovery. Coue's affirmation focused the patient's mind on every day, in every way, getting better and better. Emile Coue is credited with the documented cures of thousands of people.Closer to our own time, singer-songwriter John Lennon will always be remembered for his music, his humanitarian beliefs, and his wonderful openness. Lennon made no secret of his interest in magic and the powers of the mind, and his songs reflect this interest. Listen to his lyrics for the song,"Mind Games":
    We're playing our mind games . . .Creating the future, out of the now ...
    Lennon knew and used both visualization and affirmations. "My mind is what makes it all happen," he liked to say,and in "Beautiful Boy," which he wrote for his son, Sean, he actually sings, "Before you go to sleep—say this little prayer— Every day in every way, it's getting better and better." He, like Coue and so many other great men and women before him,found his way to this eternal truth.John Lennon's songs beckoned us to believe in ourselves and to believe in our power and our ability. "Who do you think you are?" he sang, "A superstar? Well, right you are!"

Katya likes this.
  6. Stock Trader

Stock Trader Peer Supporter

Hey Eric,

I just started reading, Mind Power into the 21st Century by John Kehoe. What techniques are you using now from this book ? What you do daily?

7. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Hey Stock Trader,
    The main technique that has been a main stay for me
    is the affirmation

( im calm, relaxed , patient and confident)

Also this thought has been a good one- Always affirm in the positive. Make a positive statement, not a negative one. For example, if you want to see a meeting go well, you wouldn't say,"I'm not going to blow this meeting." If you want to be calm and relaxed you wouldn't affirm, "I'm not going to be uptight." For some reason the mind doesn't pick up the "not" and you find yourself programming "blow the meeting" or "uptight." The mind will focus on these self-destructive images and not on what you want.
    just a couple of things to keep in mind.

Im always affirming - im strong, confident, and out going if I have a lot to do.

Ill also say love- peace-joy- happiness over and over to self sooth while im imagining that I feel the emotions
    of course now the calming feeling is getting a lot easier.

Since I've been doing these a while now Stock trader, I get results rather quickly
    like a conditioned response- its habit ya know

jennyc19 and Stock Trader like this.