1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Acceptance of TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by efini, Feb 10, 2015.

Tags:
  1. efini

efini New Member

Hi,

I find I only get hip pain after I wake up from sleeping.

The first thing after waking up and feeling the pain is grabbing something like a tennis ball and massage my hip. Sometimes it gets rid of the pain or sometimes it reduces it from about 7/10 to 3/10.

It seems if I were to accept TMS then I would need to stop using a ball to massage my hip.

I dread going through the whole day with my hip pain at 7/10.

Does anyone have any advice? Maybe someone used to do something which they thought helped their pain i.e. painkillers, stretching etc and they had to stop to fully accept TMS pain.

Thanks so much.

2. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

Hi Efini:

I had hip pain as well. I did physio for a year for back and hip pain. I did an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening. I did heat packs, ice packs, ball therapy, arnica,chiro, all kinds of things. It got marginally better. When I did everything perfectly, that hip got good enough I could walk and shop, and move about my day. Then, mysteriously, my other hip got sore. Back to physio for that hip. And then that got good enough to go about my day (to some degree anyway) then I pivoted wrong and I would say that my hip pulled my back out. Then it was all messed up for a while. A month later I found Dr. Sarno on the internet. The thing that helped with pain? Just TMS knowledge, releasing emotions, acknowledging emotions, working on my perfectionist personality. I started back to the pool for my new physio therapy, PeggyPT. I used self talk to get me through activities, I kept telling myself I couldn't hurt myself while I moved about my day.

Now my hip pain is gone, probably disappeared a month or two after starting with TMS knowledge. I get a little pain now and again, but I just work through it and it goes away.

I do recommend the Structured Education Program to help you learn how to journal, and acknowledge your feelings.

So when you get up and feel the pain, then just get angry. I find that works well with acute pain. Sit down again and get your feelings out, and then try it all again.

Good luck and I feel confident you can work your way through this.

Peggy

Tennis Tom and Ellen like this.
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Efini. A agree with Peggy, Ellen, and Tom. You know your pains are from TMS so you need
    to discover their emotional causes. The Structured Eductional Program will lead you through the TMS daily steps
    to heal you. Until you're healed, it's okay to use the tennis ball for your hip.
    Just keep believing 100 percent that you will heal through TMS.

I work for a book publisher who is a perfectionist's perfectionist, and it isn't easy for me.
    I now laugh about it. He's got back and hip pain, and I tell him it's TMS but he doesn't believe in it.
    So his pain will go on until he believes, if ever.

I too am a perfectionist, but I have gotten it a lot more under control.
    No one is perfect, except a dog.

4. efini

efini New Member

Thanks for your replies, I will follow your advice and start the Structured Education Program.

5. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Many sufferers' pains only begin when they wake up. Mine always started when the alarm rang so I got another alarm (a waterfall alarm clock, but it didn't stop the pain). But there are also many whose pain is not there in there morning, but comes on stronger as the day goes on. The patterns are all over the place.

The tennis ball isn't doing anything, it's a diversionary placebo. If you want to heal you need to stop tennis balling yourself. The conditioned response seems to be the toughest thing to break. It's the most problematic thing I've seen.

If you do the work, you will wake up one morning free.

Steve

Barb M., Peggy and IrishSceptic like this.