1. To receive notices when new "Overcoming TMS" days are posted, just sign up at this link. To view the days that have already been posted, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

About Success Stories Forum

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Forest, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Forest

Forest Forum Administrator

Do you have a TMS success story to share? If so, post it here. This forum is a place to post how you recovered from TMS. It is also a place to post about both your small and large successes. If your only success is walking around the block, feel free to post about here. TMS success is about regaining our lives back and doing activities that we love. If you have made progress in any area feel free to tell us about it. Sharing your story will help other people accept the diagnosis and recover as well.

Laudisco likes this.
  2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

just have a few suggestions around success stories. would it be possible to have a few extra categories like age groups, total duration of pain Pre-TMS on top of the type of pain.

sorry for trying to create more work for you folks as I know there is so much involved but I'll have more of a think myself before writing more!

Hopefully the RUMUR guys can get all the celebs involved in All the Rage to do a ''Thank you Dr Sarno tribute'' . I'm sure they'd be happy to oblige!

jennaTMS516 likes this.
  3. Forest

Hi IrishSceptic, I'd be happy to help with the technical aspects of that and with integrating it with the other programs that we have. The challenge is that we would need someone to read the actual stories and categorize them. Similarly, we may need someone to recruit and organize volunteers. This might be hard as our community is still very small and people are very busy. However, as we grow, it may become more and more possible.

The best way to do it would probably be through something called "tags." Tags aren't very prominent right now, but they can help people find our site and use our site, so you'll be seeing more of them in the coming years. This application would be perfect for them. By using tags for this, we would also make it more likely that people would find the stories when searching Google.

Another idea would be to do something similar to the Success Stories by Symptom and Diagnosis section:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/ppd/Success_Stories_by_Symptoms_&_Diagnoses

I'm actually in touch with another person who is interested in doing something with Success Stories. Perhaps I can put the two of you in touch.

jennaTMS516 and IrishSceptic like this.
  4. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

bingo, tags seem to be the way to do that alright! Im also thinking from an easy reference POV like a template. as in at the beginning of the post have a list of specific information points so a prospective person can take a quick glance and get the essential info before they read the entire thing. could maybe provide consistency.
    i.e.

Person X
    Diagnoses received:
    MRI's or tests taken:
    Time to recovery from first hearing about TMS:
    Any relapses:
    Specific things that helped your recovery:
    of course this could all be debated etc but I feel it could maybe add a dimension and break up the block text style of some stories. I'd be happy to go through a few of the stories. By the way, how many stories are there?

jennaTMS516 and Ellen like this.
  5. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

IrishSceptic,

I've given some thought to how to systematize some of the information in the Success Stories as well. I like your idea of having a simple template in the beginning that people could fill out, and then go ahead with their narrative success story.

One of the roadblocks I always stumble on, though, is how to define "recovery". Maybe it isn't necessary--if a person feels they are recovered than that is good enough.

IrishSceptic likes this.
  6. Forest

I see, so would the template idea be something for new posts that the author would fill out? That could work.

7. jennaTMS516

jennaTMS516 New Member

I'm willing to volunteer

8. jarcho

jarcho Newcomer

Just want to say that Dr. Sarno and his books saved my life. May he rest in peace.
    I had many years of debilitating back pain. tried everything then someone mentioned his first book and I decided to go see him and became illuminated to the truth of what was going on inside me. that all took place from 1988-1999. I saw Sarno a few times. Even flew back from seattle once. with his help and lots of years of therapy, I fully understand what went on and have been able to stop the TMS from taking over for many many years now.IE..I've been TMS free for well over a decade.