1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

A TMS MUST READ: SteveO's new "10 Book", #6, 'The R/S Ratio'

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Tennis Tom, Apr 17, 2016.

1. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Pages 22-24, explain the TMS'ers psychology better then anything I remember reading--a must read to understand the TMS mind and why it creates psychosomatic symptoms.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Hey Tom, do you mean from his Great Pain Deception book, or is there another one?

Debbie

3. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

Tennis Tom likes this.
  4. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

Thanks!

5. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

Quote from said book:

"Learning how to have fun, allowing for joy, and to be genuinely happy, eases pain by soothing the fire of rage. But because of guilt, from the tyranny of the should, people simply won't allow fun to enter awareness"

Yep, I know all about that.

6. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

I'm happy this gave you some deeper insight TTom, thank you, it's simply an homage to the good doctor; to his life changing tome. I wanted to take his vast body of work and put it into a simple form for everyone to understand. His career was filled with deep insight and a willingness to put the patient's interests above his own. It's such a complex work that it needed to be summarized. All great scientists know that a work of science has no meaning unless people can understand it.

I've been open about my goal, and it has never wavered. It is to spread Dr. Sarno's work as far and as wide and as fast as I can while I'm able, and while he can still see it. I want to thank him for saving my life, and the tens of thousands I've met or communicated with since the late 90s. And so I was deeply satisfied to hear that he loved this little book.

I continue to hope that lives become happier with his work.

Onward and sideways!

Steve

7. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

SteveO, The little book you just published is a great one to read and read again…with great reminder points.
    I often wonder if TMS has increased with social media and the internet, considering that alarming, scary, threatening reports and news flashes before our eyes every time we sign on to answer an email. Not just about health issues, but globally. I know I have increased anxiety and have had to narrow my scope of media. As you wrote, even the TV commercials are full of promoting FDA approved drugs for syndromes and diseases we might have…or be convinced we have.

tgirl likes this.
  8. Steve Ozanich

Thanks MWMarcieSnoopy, I was told by one of Dr. Sarno's good friends that he and his family read that little book a few times also. Then I got a letter in the mail from the good doctor thanking me for writing it. He's from an era of class that has long passed by. I hope curious people read it repeatedly and gain from it, and to remind them.

Yes, the world around us definitely adds to our TMS' conflict. But I'm always mindful of the words of N. Maharaj, "Once you realize that all comes from within, that the world in which you live is not projected onto you, but by you. your fear comes to an end." There's no difference between the outer and the inner. The conflict in TMS comes from thinking that there is a difference.

We can only control our own reactions. And so the ultimate goal is kyriya yoga. But until we can evolve to that higher state there are many things we can do in the interim. Exercise, breath work, forgiveness, laughter, insight, love, among many others.

9. Tennis Tom

Page 29 has a great/simple explanation for what the "TMS WORK " is.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  10. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I've ordered Steve's new book and am eager to read it. His first book, The Great Pain Deception, is wonderful.
    I've read in these forums that he has added new thoughts on TMS healing. They ought to be very helpful to us all, those like me
    who have healed, and those still in the process. I hope people will post more here after reading his new book.

11. Tennis Tom

What isn't TMS, from SteveO's "TEN BOOK" :

p.34 : "The multitude of various health problems that people experience every day are almost always caused by tension. Few health problems, except for injuries, congenital defects, extreme dietary deficiencies, exposure to toxins, or pathological diseases have anything to do with the body's structure."

Last edited: May 5, 2016
    BruceMC likes this.
  12. Tennis Tom

p.35 SteveO "10 Book" :

"Generally speaking, there's nothing wrong with the hands and feet, shoulders and knees, hips, neck, and back. The body's core does not need to be strengthened or aligned properly. Spinal discs cannot slip in and out of place. One leg longer then the other, or one hip higher than another, does not cause pain (beyond the belief that it does). The body does not need to be stretched, aligned, strengthened, cut, injected or fixed in any way--when stress induced tension is the culprit. The very acts of poking, prodding, stretching, stabbing cutting, realigning, and talking about body must be stopped."

North Star and MWsunin12 like this.
  13. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

An excellent book Steve. It's now my new go to reference book.

I'm going to order a physical copy and donate it to my local library. It's compact, easy to digest and full of wisdom, if it changes just as one persons life, it'll be worth it.

Last edited: May 10, 2016
    Boston Redsox likes this.
  14. Tennis Tom

p.36, SteveO "TEN BOOK" :

"Stress occurs psychologically when we don't get what we want. Stress is the difference between "what we wanted" versus "what we just got. "

..."Tension is the body's physical response to that stress. Stress is perceived within the mind, and tension is real within the body. TMS is a real physical mindbody effect that begins as a perception within, and permeates the corporeal body as crippling pain, illness, and fatigue."

..."The placebo and the Symptom Imperative shifting make them believe that they once had a physical structural problem, when they didn't. A placebo forces the symptom to shift forms if the reasons for the tension still remain, resulting from the perception of events--as seen by the personality."

Bhamgirl and North Star like this.
  15. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

It's a nice short read basically it's the TGPD in a cliff note version a handy little reference book

Tennis Tom and mike2014 like this.
  16. Steve Ozanich

Very cool Mike, nice to see someone else who cares like you do. If it helps someone then it's worth it. You never know whose life you are going to affect. Someone may have been ready to opt out, but because of your kindness they were brought back to live and love. It's karma (later on Newton called it cause and effect, for every action...).

There is some type of contractual thing that I wasn't allowed to have access to libraries and institutions because of the ISBN with Ingram and sold through Amazon. I would have had to purchase the ISBNs through someone else for that channel. But when I'm all done creating I'll also be handing out books to libraries.

When I found out how much Dr. Sarno loved that book I smiled. I doubt he's ever seen his life work laid out like that. It was intended to put all his work in a handbook form for reference (as you noted) for curious people to more easily understand. People like easy but they love cheap, so it was a good combo.

I would also state here, that Tennis Tom is doing many things behind the scenes to help many people. He has a great sense of humor, but he isn't into bragging about all that he does for TMS, so I'll do it for him. He helps with this message in many ways, quietly. I hope to meet him one day although we are on opposite ends of the country. He has met with fellow TMSers before but I've only met with some who have driven to Ohio to meet me. I've been in seclusion for years writing but will soon come out of the cave to meet the 3 dimensional people. I heard we landed on the moon, is that true?

The only way to make a difference is to stay persistent, and to have the right intention. It's not my message, I'm just a messenger boy. TMS is a gift that must be passed to another person, but in a delicate way. You have to know how to wrap the gift or they return it the next day.

17. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

mike2014 likes this.
  18. Tennis Tom

Page 47 Dr. Sarno's "TOP TEN" by Steve Ozanich:

"How far they travel on their new journey depends on many interrelated factors, such as full belief, ego control, depth of fear, heat of anger, coolness of confidence, capacity for courage, degree of desire, and need for symptoms."

MWsunin12 likes this.
  19. Steve Ozanich

Did you finish it yet Tom? Let me know if you agree with the order. I've received some interesting opinions, although #1 hasn't been disagreed with yet.

20. Tennis Tom

Hi SteveO, haven't finished yet but plowing forward, all the way up to page 50, so shouldn't be much longer then six months or so now. I did get hung-up on page 38 for some strange reason and have marked it to return to later; may be some sort of aversion disorder or the PH in the hot-tub. Haven't given any thought to your choice of order of importance of the Good Doctor's discoveries, I'll go along with yours. I do think his emphasis on TMS being a PROTECTOR, (a defense mechanism), vs a punisher as Freud did is a biggie. Is "diversion" the same as "distraction"? Maybe you could do a TMS Dictionary someday or as an appendix to your upcoming book.

Cheers,
    tt/lsmft

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016