1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Bookmark

Thread:
A physio is cured, and can lift 400lbs!
It all started in 2008 when I thought that I’d “injured” my lower back while deadlifting. After that I always had a lingering pain in my lower back and even a bit of numbness down the buttock. Squatting or heavy lifting with my back instantly exacerbated symptoms. I decided I’d permanently injured my back and just “couldn't do those lifts anymore.”

Fast forward to 2012 when I first read “Healing Back Pain” and my back pain of 4 years vanished almost instantaneously. Even though the idea of TMS was different than all of the orthopedic training as a physio I received, I had no difficulty accepting the diagnosis.

I regained confidence in my back again and began training seriously as a powerlifter. I now hold provincial records in squat and a national deadlift record, pulling up 441lbs at a body weight of 129lbs. My back has never felt better. I enjoy lifting heavy to show my patients that the spine is incredibly strong and not fragile as is commonly believed.

I have found that once my back pain disappeared other areas tried to take its place: nerve pain in the right arm, shoulder pain, and bilateral elbow pain (golfers elbow). My brain is very tricky in that it uses my knowledge of anatomy to specifically target muscles and tendons related to a certain movement. And my personality type fits very strongly with TMS. But it is all a distraction. Any setbacks have been minor and I am able to eliminate the pain. Every time.

If you struggle with certain activities or movements that exacerbate your pain, I know how frustrating it can be. Keeping reading, stick with it, and ask questions. Freedom to move and play without pain is possible!