1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Bookmark

Thread:
Rushing & Face tension
Hi Jon,

Ace1 recovered from TMS and one of the biggest things he needed to tackle was 'rushing' / the urge to be finished or get somewhere quickly. Here is a link to a thread that lists Ace1's 'keys to healing' (it contains the short version of his 'keys' and page down to see the long version too, the latter giving the best details of how he dealt with his urge to rush) https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/condensed-version-repeating-the-keys-to-healing-by-ace1.17783/ (Condensed version "Repeating the keys to healing" by Ace1)

If you relax your jaw it will relax your face muscles. A normal resting tongue position is key for relaxing your jaw and can be found by placing your tongue against the roof of your mouth as if making a “clucking/clicking” sound. Ideally the front 1/3 of the tongue should rest upwards, just behind the front teeth. This is considered to be the best position for your tongue to help keep the jaw muscles more relaxed.

I put 'post it' notes around my house which just said 'tongue' on them - to remind me to put my tongue in the correct position to relax my jaw. I also made a point of noticing my tongue position in association with certain daily activities, e.g. after I ate I'd make a point of noticing my tongue position and altering it to the correct position and every time I climbed any stairs etc (just choose your activities). I kept doing this until it became automatic and natural - a new, good habit (by rewiring your brain - through neuroplasticity). Doing this persistently and gently (I didn't mentally beat myself up every time I found my tongue was in the wrong position) worked for me.

Also, perhaps try 'cupping' your eyes to relieve your ocular symptoms. Preferably rub your palms together for a 10 seconds or more -- but it doesn't really matter if you skip the rubbing. Close your eyes and then with applying no pressure, gently cup your palms over your closed eyes. It relaxes your eyes and the muscles around your eyes. Do this several times a day, whenever you feel like it. (I have a rare eye condition that adversely affects the muscles that move my eyeballs around, the muscles of my eyelids and the muscles around my eyes, and 'cupping' is tremendous for helping me cope with it all.)

Hope this helps!

Best;
BloodMoon