1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Bookmark

Thread:
The System
"Fooling" your brain isn't the answer. "TMS" (which is not an actual medical condition) simply refers to emotionally-driven symptoms and the mind-body connection, which every single soul on this planet experiences to some degree (think about the woman whose eyes twitch when she's upset or getting a lump in your throat before a public speech). When symptoms pop up, it's a sign that your body is stressed from your emotions, and you need to sit back and consider what makes you happy, what emotions you need to balance, and what relaxes you. You have to accept the cause of these symptoms and not fear them. That's it. There's nothing more to it, and there's no trickery required.

No vegetative state is going to do that work for you. Fooling the brain would also be doing yourself a major disservice because the mind-body connection runs very deep, and you'll probably develop some other symptoms anyway. And you won't learn anything from it, which is the benefit of viewing the symptoms as a learning experience and opportunity to grow past whatever is bothering you in life.

And remember that the mind-body connection is a fact of nature. You're never going to get around nature. Negative emotions will find a way to express themselves somehow.

For the record, I've tried float therapy (we have countless places offering the services throughout my major city), and I can tell you that it's not going to completely rewire your brain. The brain is incredibly neuroplastic and you have the ability to change how you view life and live - but you need to do the work.