1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

You don't have to make drastic life changes to go pain-free

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by livelife2bepainfree, Aug 21, 2020.

1. livelife2bepainfree

livelife2bepainfree Peer Supporter

Hi all,

This is a common misconception about TMS.

You may think that to get relief from pain you have to:
    • get a divorce
    • quit your job
    • move countries
    • spend 6-months in a meditation centre in India
    • lose 60 pounds
    • change all your "limiting beliefs".
    This is not true. You may wish to make changes in your life but that's not necessary to go pain-free.

Accepting anything and everything you feel is ENOUGH to release the trapped energy and the pain.

Here's an example.

If you're in a relationship and you come across an attractive person, you don't have to sleep with that person to release tension and pain in your body.

Acknowledge that feeling, "Interesting. I just felt attracted to that person. That's perfectly normal. They are strikingly beautiful".

However, if you judge yourself or feel ashamed of feeling attracted to someone else, tension and pain can build up in your body.

Fighting or repressing the feeling is what creates the pain—not the feeling itself.

Sarno helped his clients to bring to the surface unwanted repressed feelings.

That was all they had to do.

You don't have to become someone else or turn your life upside down to get rid of pain.

Much love,
    Angelos

Dorado, Marls, HattieNC and 2 others like this.
  2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

This is absolutely true and I sincerely agree. Unless someone truly has a desire to move on from a job or a relationship or whatever because they know something would work better for them, drastic changes to your life are not always necessary. When it comes to certain things such as switching jobs, accept that it may take time. Otherwise, you're only causing yourself pain (emotional and/or physical).

I want to emphasize that these example scenarios are very different from situations where someone is easily stressed out or prone to heightened emotions and would reap far more benefits by learning how to manage those feelings. If one is dealing with the latter, there are usually other actions that can be taken, including mental health management and planning. The suggestions in your posts are perfect ways to reframe one's circumstances; this is quite powerful. I've tried running away from my problems and it only created more because I never developed a stronger sense of self or strength, and it was only a matter of time before another challenge presented itself. Life is not meant to be comfortable every second of the day. I JUST had a conversation about this with one of my close friends who is more sensitive.

It really is all about managing daily emotions such as stress - this helps us build resiliency and grow. Thank you so much for sharing this!