1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Yoga helped?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by hawaii_five0, Oct 7, 2021.

Tags:
  1. hawaii_five0

hawaii_five0 Well known member

To those of you who got better from TMS: how much did yoga play a part or help you?

I know about the general benefits of yoga/breathing/meditation, but have never been able to make it a daily practice. Just curious about success stories of those of you who have been thru this and y0ga/breathing helped you.

thanks
    James

2. Sita

Sita Well known member

I'm not a success story yet. But I'm getting better.

Yoga helps me a lot. Mostly mentally. It calms down my mind and I feel more relaxed physically also. I do a form of Pilates/Yoga daily in the morning and afternoon. 10-15 min earlier in the day and 25 min later.

Yoga as a form of meditation is crucial for me. I can get too mental some times and if I skip my meditation in the morning or an entire day ... it's not good for me. I just have to do it. I don't have many days now when I don't meditate at all. It is a necessity.

Breathing exercises I do use daily, before meditation or while walking in the forest or just 5 min every now and then when I remember to do it. They relax me, mentally. They also cut my hunger sometimes. I'm not sure if this is true or it's just in my mind but it doesn't matter. I'm in the process of losing weight so I'm happy to use all tools available to eat less.

All the best.

TG957 and hawaii_five0 like this.
  3. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I credit my yoga practice for my physical and mental health. I used to view yoga as a physical exercise more than a mental one, until I learned how to meditate the hard way, after developing severe TMS symptoms. After 15 years of practicing yoga, I was finally able to merge yoga and meditation. For those who are beginners with yoga, I suggest to try Qi Gong. It is more meditative and less strenuous, so it is easier to get going.

This is absolutely true for me, too. Meditation, yoga and exercise reduce my food cravings, primarily because eating is my way of dealing with stress. The more I meditate and exercise, the less I eat mindlessly.

hawaii_five0 and Sita like this.