1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 3 Yesterday was rough and new symptoms today

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by 1daat, Feb 23, 2020.

1. 1daat

1daat New Member

I am on week 2 of therapy and also after completing day 2 of the media and structural program I had an almost surreal experience.

I had gotten home after the day and was just sitting scrolling on my phone, and only what I can describe as a full body experience came over me. My nerve pain/tingling dialed up, my whole body became hot. The nerve stuff crept up my back into my scalp, face became flushed and ears flushed and hot. My back and buttock was pulsating with each heartbeat. What the hell was going on?

I calmed myself, said you have done nothing different other than emotional work and this is your brain acting on that.

Today new symptoms are headache and tingling along my back, I still went out and ran yesterday and will do so today.

I had already started listing childhood experiences so it's been a rough ride.

JanAtheCPA and ssxl4000 like this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Wonderful understanding and way to reassure yourself. As you describe this, it is as if the emotional experiences rolling around go directly to sensations, like a "storm" of some kind. Very simple.

1daat likes this.
  3. ssxl4000

ssxl4000 Well known member

Symptom substitution or extinction bursts (aka, your brain trying to scare you with new symptoms) in my experience became kind of funny once you get to that place mentally where you really are not scared of the new symptoms. It sounds like you did a great job getting to a similar mindset. If you are ever in doubt, just remember that if you can get your brain to stop a symptom once, you can definitely do it again. Keep up the good work!