1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Wrong Emotion ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by RikR, Feb 16, 2013.

1. RikR

RikR Well known member

I don’t want to challenge Dr. Sarno’s ground breaking work but consider this. It is well accepted in psychology that behind the emotions of: frustration – shame – grief – anger and rage is the core emotion of Hurt.

When I came home at age 8 and found my father was packing to leave the family I was not initially angry, I was hurt, then sad then angry. When I found my former wife having an affair I was at first hurt then angry.

Hurt precedes these other emotions and anger can be a smoke screen to deny hurt. In fact in psychology when we teach assertiveness skills you don’t report the anger you report the hurt.

So when your friend stands you up, you can go to anger and risk a confrontation or you can report the core emotions: “ I am really hurt you forgot our date.”

So as I begin this work and look at all the disappointments I feel the need to go deeper than anger and rage and see the source of hurt and feel how it hurt!

I also suspect that since it is our inner child that is a prime emotional part, that mine is really pissed that I have allowed all this unfelt emotional energy to be heaped on him and he is not having any more of it.

gailnyc likes this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I do really see this as challenging Sarno's theory. To me, it seems like we have anger and rage because we are hurt. The root cause of TMS is our fear of being abandoned and rejected. We fear this things because of the hurt they will cause us. Disassociation is a key factor in developing TMS. Getting in touch with that hurt you have felt will really help you understand your TMS personality and the reasons behind your symptoms. A lot of times, simply understanding that there were events that hurt you, can lead to a significant reduction of symptoms.

3. RikR

RikR Well known member

I know for myself that I grew up having to take care of myself with no one to turn to. This inability to explore/express my emotional mileau was a recipe for disassociation from my feelings....that and most of them were negative and overpowering for a child.

4. Lori

Lori Well known member

Hi RikR. If a friend stood me up, I suppose I could say I was hurt, but to me underneath that hurt is I AM ANGRY YOU DID THIS! And yes, it would be better to approach or confront from a non-angry angle as you mention, and I see nothing wrong with saying "I am hurt you did this." But to me it seems that anger would be under the hurt.

I have found that as long as we become aware and are exploring what is buried in us, a lot comes out and we can feel what we need to feel--whatever that may be.

I also must ask: where was that photo of you taken?

Best wishes for healing!

5. RikR

RikR Well known member

Current psychology says that hurt is the base emotion but I also respect how it occurs for you. I was rock climbing in Joshua Tree National park before TMS stopped my adventure activities

6. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Hi RikR,
    My primary repressed emotion is sadness, maybe similar to what you describe as hurt. It's easier for me to feel anger than sadness.

I think the most important thing is that we accept that we have repressed emotions and learn to accept the "shadow" part of ourselves. I personally don't think it matters that much which is the main repressed emotion.

Also, welcome! I haven't been on here much in the last week so I'm catching up on posts.

7. Layne

Layne Well known member

Anger is easier to express because it requires less vulnerability than sadness. And anger makes us feel powerful, like we can do something, whereas sadness feels more passive and helpless.

8. RikR

RikR Well known member

Layne
    I totally agree. Anger is a defense. The first step in assertiveness training is to report the hurt not the anger - otherwise anger is met with anger.

I also am leaning that when I feel the hurt I have something real towork with - anger is just raw energy looking for a place to land

Layne likes this.