1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

World Premiere of "This Might Hurt" is October 25 in Austin!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JanAtheCPA, Oct 20, 2019.

1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Exciting news, everyone! We just received this press release about the film featuring Dr. Schubiner.

THIS MIGHT HURT Documentary Film
    World Premieres and In Competition at 2019 Austin Film Festival

This Might Hurt Explores a Radical Mind-Body Treatment Solution for Chronic Pain Which Affects 100 Million Americans

Screens Friday, October 25 at 5pm at The Hideout Theater and Wednesday, October 30th at 1pm at the Alamo Drafthouse Village

Filmmakers Kent Bassett and Marion Cunningham in Attendance

(For Immediate Release: October 10, 2019)
    This Might Hurt (USA, 80 min) is an intimate vérité film that follows three chronic pain patients who have spent years trying to cure their illness via modern medicine without success. Desperate for relief, they enter a mind-body medicine program run by Dr. Howard Schubiner that focuses on uncovering buried trauma at the root of their suffering, re-training their brains to turn-off the pain. Trailer and more info here: http://www.thismighthurtfilm.com/

100 million Americans suffer from chronic pain and the opioid epidemic is ravaging the nation. Better solutions are needed to help those who are suffering. Could a radical, mind-body treatment, turning conventional medical wisdom on its head, be part of the solution? Nearly 80% of Americans may experience chronic pain at some point in their lives. Exploring the power of the mind-body connection could bring hope to millions.

Filmmakers Kent Bassett and Marion Cunningham have spent seven years lovingly working on the film, following the participants’ ongoing battles to fight and cure the source of their chronic pain. Both will be in attendance and available for questions and interviews. Their hope is the film will help shed light on the potential causes of chronic pain and reach the millions who suffer from it, offering hope and possible alternatives to our nation’s dangerous dependence on prescription drugs.

About their visit to the Austin Film Festival, Bassett says, “I'm excited to meet other filmmakers and to debut a film we've been working on for 7 years to audiences for the first time. I'm especially curious to find out how people suffering from chronic pain – and professionals who help them them – feel about the film. I hope they will find it illuminating, and hope they sense the care and compassion we felt while working on it.”

Added Cunningham: “We're ecstatic to debut This Might Hurt at the Austin Film Festival. Sharing our film with the audiences of such a renowned festival is an honor. We're excited to hear feedback from fellow filmmakers and moviegoers alike. We hope our film shines a light on an often ignored problem, chronic pain, which affects 100 million Americans every year, and offers hope to those suffering.”

BIOS
    Editor Kent Bassett is an Emmy-nominated editor and filmmaker. He recently cut Standing Up (DOC NYC) about three unlikely aspiring comedians and the Emmy-nominated Personal Statement (AFI Docs, PBS World Channel) about youth leaders fighting to expand college access. His is currently editing a film about health activist Ady Barkan.

Basset’s life was turned upside-down with the onset of terrible, intense, unexplained pain in his arms while an undergraduate at Swarthmore College. Unable to type with pain so intense that even turning a doorknob was unbearable, he was forced to drop-out and began multiple rounds to a dozen doctors who diagnosed tendonitis and prescribed physical therapy to no avail. It was then that he discovered the work of the late Dr. John Sarno in his book, The Mindbody Prescription. Its theory that emotions and anxiety can cause severe physical pain and this pain can be cured by addressing both, was revelatory for him. Overnight, he experienced a miracle and his pain went away, sparking his own deep interest in the mind-body pain connection, which sparked the idea for the film.

Director Marion Cunningham is a filmmaker who has produced series for Netflix, National Geographic, OWN, Discovery and A&E. She’s currently the Supervising Producer of OZY Studios. Cunningham joined fellow Chapman University alumni Bassett after connecting at a First Cut screening of Dodge College Films in NYC. She instantly connected with the story and after a multi-year journey, the two launched an Indiegogo campaign to procure finishing funds. Both are eager to share what they have learned in hopes of alleviating the suffering that has driven thousands into opioid addiction, as well as driving many taken off their painkillers to suicide.

2019 Austin Film Festival Screenings

World Premiere
    Friday, October 25th at 5pm
    Hideout Theatre
    617 Congress Avenue
    Austin, TX 78701

Second Screening
    Wednesday, October 30th at 1:15pm
    Alamo Drafthouse Village
    2700 Anderson Lane
    Austin, TX 78757

PR/Media Contact:
    Mary Anne Connolly
    MACMedia
    maryanneconnolly@gmail.com
    512/587.7153

Marion Cunningham, Director
    cunningm@gmail.com
    Cell # 917-340-0720

Kent Bassett, Editor
    kentbassettfilm@gmail.com
    Cell # 310-701-2862

Twitter: @This_Might_Hurt
    Facebook: ThisMightHurtFilm

Ren and yb44 like this.
  2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you for posting that, Jan.

If anyone hasn't seen the trailer yet, check it out. Quite powerful. I am hopeful that it will inspire many people to learn about TMS by adding credibility to our movement.

Ren and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

Haha - thanks for embedding the video @Forest - a skill I somehow never learned, after all this time.

The premiere is in less than 24 hours!!!!

4. mbo

mbo Well known member

great stuff !!!! .... I presume.
    We need urgently such pedagogical tools because, in my humble opinion, the vast majority of TMS sufferers are very reluctant to the "good news" proposed by dr. Sarno decades ago, and prefer to follow the sterile "solutions" proposed by the conventional medecine and bigfarma. Sadly.

5. Marls

Marls Well known member

Does anyone know if this doco is available on-line? I can't find any references on where to view it. thanks Marls

6. JanAtheCPA

Hi @Marls - since it's an actual theatrical-release film it's unlikely to be available outside of theaters for a while.

7. Marls

Marls Well known member

Thanks Jan, I guess it might take a while to get to Oz then. Cheers, marls