1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

working with ATTENTION, INTENTION, MEMORY AND IMAGINATION to release repressed emotions

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Richsimm22, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

The More Profound Form of The Dark Vise Described by Thomas Hanna

There's another perspective on "Dark Vise" (as T.H. described it in Somatics): the emotional perspective.

Emotions (and thoughts) are contraction patterns at higher levels of organization than gross movements of a sensory-motor kind.

Anger ("getting your back up") corresponds to Landau Reaction.
    Fear corresponds to Startle Reflex.
    Sorrow (and guilt and shame) correspond to Trauma Reflex.

These emotions also mix with and complicate each other and lead to pressure build-up. They have one-to-one (though not necessarily obvious) correspondences to muscular contraction patterns that may not respond to gross pandicular actions. These correspondences are revealed at the moment of emotional relaxation as muscular relaxation. It's the meaning of the old term, "nervous tension."

In the vernacular, the expression was, "uptight".

"Many" people have self-repressive tendencies toward anger, sorrow and fear. The exaggerated or out-of-control or inappropriate expressions of these emotions come from the pressure build-up of such self-repression and from the complications of one or two emotions being "parasitically entangled" with others.

Emotional contraction states must (must) be addressed on their own terms.

Unless that is done, certain habituated tension patterns that show up as our characteristic postural set persist, despite somatic education exercises. They show up as our identity.

Somatic education is deeper than "sensory-motor" and involves more kinds of pain than muscular, joint, or nerve pain.

The Gold Key Release is an effective tool for working through and working out the deeper layers.

http://lawrencegoldsomatics.blogspot.co.uk/2013/03/somatology-gold-key-release-for.html

2. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I like your drive for knowledge …..but I think digging to deep into this is a form of resistance ?

Richsimm22 likes this.
  3. Richsimm22

I just find it interesting. Some people feel the need to read every single book. These are just things I come across before tms that I thought people may get benefit from.

4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

I think we all suffer from that drive, it's what gives us TMS in the first place. We are unable to accept and let go/surrender - we are forever looking for logic, reasoning and validation. It keeps us in that vicious cycle that TMS resides within.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I too am for short and simple. I read the books on TMS and only came away with what helped me... believing my back pain was from TMS, repressed emotions of insecurity when my parents divorced when I was seven. I journaled to understand that they divorced because they had their own TMS pain, involving financial problems. That helped me to forgive them and it helped me to heal.

Mike and Marco are more like I am. But if you want more knowledge, Richsimm, go ahead if it helps you, and I hope it does. It's that old saying,
    "Different strokes for..."

6. Richsimm22

Cheers guys. Good points. Food for thought.

7. Richsimm22

This has worked wonders for me lately and erradicated most of my symptoms and anxiety.