1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

working through pain/safe time?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by whofeelslove, Sep 5, 2015.

1. whofeelslove

whofeelslove Peer Supporter

Hi folks
    ok im still doing the MBS stuff and had a great breakthrough with my therapist doing EMDR for repressed emotions..even though the pain has not gone down i was still hopeful. Today i decided to go for a short walk (remember im 3 half months post surgery for spinal stenosis/disc herniation right leg pain some in left leg all below the knee always on standing) OMFG my pain would not drop below an 8-9 on scale and the only relief was crouching or sitting to relieve the pain. After surgery when i walked the pain would drop after 1-2 miles but in the last week just standing for more than a few minutes would send me sitting pretty quickly, and i have a high pain threshold..The pain got bad today and after the walk i ended up in ER as its never been this bad and i wanted something to ease the pain, they gave me typical response and sent me on my way with vicodin which i have left over from surgery anyway..,,i cant resume normal physical activity when my pain is 8-9 hence the pain meds..i even tried do self talk but the pain was un bearable...i really need advice here about working with the high chronic pain whilst trying to have confidence in the diagnosis..its an up hill battle
    thanx Ian
    P.S im doing a skype therapy session with LA pain management center starting next thursday

2. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

If you have already read a few books by Dr Sarno Id recommend Steve Ozanichs book on TMS. He has some great advice on challenging the pain and how to beat it.
    It differs by person and your situation with surgery is beyond my expertise to comment. However, if you have cleared up doubt and certain this is TMS I strongly recommend Steves book.
    It is the densest book I've ever read on any subject and could probably be trimmed down a little. Excellent value for money I felt.

JanAtheCPA and Colly like this.
  3. Colly

Colly Beloved Grand Eagle

I recall Steve was given the diagnosis of spinal stenosis too. His book 'The Great Pain Deception' will give you the confidence boost you need right now and accelerate your recovery as it did mine. His own journey of pain is heart-wrenching to read at times, but his recovery is awe-inspiring, and will fill you with much needed hope.

All the best, Colly

Tennis Tom and JanAtheCPA like this.