1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Working Out/Lifting Weights: ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Freedom, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

So I have been getting back into working out slowly. I started with just exercise bands and have moved on to weights. The last few times I have used weights I have felt some tinges of pain. I was a bit worried about that today when I was doing bicep curls, mainly about my lower back. However I ended up having pain in the upper right part of my back. Like pulling a muscle or whatever it's officially called. I stopped lifting at this point, but what I'm wondering is:

1. What should I be thinking during a workout to avoid this
    2. How can I not let this build up. I feel like I have a setback when this happens and I am more afraid to workout the next time :/

2. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

I would start slow and build up your confidence to avoid TMS flareups during workouts. Know that light lifting is not likely to cause a real injury and would certainly not injure your back like that. Do things that are pain free and build from there. If you feel a little twinge try not to worry. You could think positive thoughts during workouts, listen to good music or anything to get your mind off the TMS worries.

3. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

When I was working out I was watching a video on how to achieve better results from the bicep curl and using proper form. There was a list of like 5 things, I remember I was doing #3 and started to think about doing number 4 and the pain happened at that moment. Not sure if this is a correlation. I thought watching a video on working out would have been more productive and safer than just listening to music or something.