1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Work and TMS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Allund, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Allund

Allund Peer Supporter

Hi everyone,

I was wondering how do you usually deal with TMS symptoms while you are doing your job. In my case some days it gets a little bit difficult as I might start feeling not very well and it is like the fear makes me to want to run away, but instead of that I stay there and continue working but my attention is all focused on my symptoms. I know I would have to accept them, and focus on what I am doing, but sometimes it gets really difficult. I feel fear is so big sometimes.

I just wanted to know your experiences dealing with this issues at work.

Thank you so much

brendan537 likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I work at home as a writer of books and am on the computer 6 or more hours a day. I sometimes have some back pain but that's mainly when walking and not sitting. I am very lucky.

I think you have to try to take your mind off the pain when it comes on while you're working. Take some deep breaths and imagine you're somewhere else, like on a favorite vacation.

Here are a couple of quotes on fear that I like. It's always good to know others (even milionaires) have fear problems and have to do something about them:

Oprah Winfrey: “The thing you fear most has no power. Your fear of it is what has the power.”

Jake Gyllenhaal: “Do you know what fear stands for? False Evidence Appearing Real.”

Allund likes this.
  3. Allund

Allund Peer Supporter

Thank you so much for your reply Walt. You are completely right, focusing on the pain for me is something I should start to change, I become desperate and fearful when I do that and I ser nothing else than that.
    I guess everyone has to live with fear, but it does not mean that it can control my life.