1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 Won't take IBS for an answer

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by dcl1597, Jan 24, 2016.

1. dcl1597

dcl1597 New Member

I’m 18 years old, and I’ve been struggling with IBS for around 9 months. I got sick when I was abroad, and though I improved slightly when I came home, I’ve had the same problem for around 8 months now- constant lingering nausea, and a sensitivity to some foods that can cause problems in my GI tract and make me feel more unpleasant. It’s difficult feeling sick all the time as a full-time college student and student worker, on top of keeping up a social life and being active and involved around campus. I also worry constantly about what I am eating and how to keep myself as healthy as I can be. I’ve been back and forth between different doctors and gotten a whole myriad of testing done to basically show that I have no structural abnormalities. At this point I feel like a lab rat as my doctors prescribe me drug after drug to see if this one will make a difference. After scouring the internet for IBS cures that would fit my personal condition, I finally stumbled upon a post on an IBS support group and discussion forum that recommended looking into TMS. I was skeptical, but spent a good part of my day reading up on TMS and looking through other posts on the forums. While I still am hesitant to say that I really think it will be successful, I’m definitely excited to have something new to try to solve my stomach woes that is a new approach- and I can’t see how it would hurt! I’m really hopeful that this will help me turn things around- getting my emotions and stress in check can only be a good thing. A life free of TMS (and IBS) would be incredible- I find myself wondering from time to time what my mind even occupied itself with when I wasn’t worrying about my health (or a lack thereof) all the time. The peace of mind would be incredible, the lack of anxiety and fear over my own body, and it would be amazing to feel like a normal human again! I would finally be able to exercise again, eat what I want, and not be mope-y and down in the dumps so often. I am ready to accept TMS and hopefully it’s treatment. Here’s hoping for success!

Stella likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, dc. You have taken the health tests and nothing structural was found. Do not let doctors treat you like a guinea pig by trying one drug after another. You finally found this web site and learned about TMS. That will heal you. Intestinal problems are typical TMS symptoms because they relate to anxiety and stress in your life. College is a challenge but you are up to it. The SEProgram will help you to discover the emotions causing your pain. They may go back to your childhood or just be related to current emotional stress. You also may be a perfectionist and "goodist," wanting everyone to like you for everything all the time. You need to increase your belief in TMS to 100 percent. Be confident that you are going to be well again, and not only well but healthier and happier than you ever believed possible. I wish I had learned about TMS when I was your age. I am 85 and just learned about it three years ago. It healed my back pain and has helped me to understand myself like never before. You are at the start of a wonderful journey of self-discovery and self-healing. Welcome to our community.

3. dcl1597

dcl1597 New Member

Thank you so much for your encouraging words, Walt! I woke up feeling pretty rough today and it feels good to have validation from others on this forum. A lot of what you are saying rings true for me- I think a lot of my anger, stress, and frustration comes from wanting to please others so much and I get frustrated when I (unrealistically) expect the same from others. I also know a lot of my anger is directed towards my body for feeling so poorly all the time. I'm ready for this journey!
    I have some questions I was wondering if you could clear up for me- mostly regarding the partnership between medical care and its relationship with TMS. For example, because I've been responding to my IBS by cutting out foods that I know irritate my stomach further. I do believe that my day-to-day nausea is caused by TMS, but I'm concerned about reintroducing foods that my stomach is just actually not used to before feeling better. I still think that this shows faith in TMS but I want to be cautious because I know my stomach has physical limitations too. Similarly, on days when I feel particularly poorly, I take some medications that give me short term relief. I understand that my emotions may be the root cause of these days where I feel worse, but is it okay for me to be taking short term relief medications to help me go on with my day as I try to get to a point where I feel healthier on a day to day basis? Thanks, and best wishes!

4. KatheC

KatheC New Member

I found this site because of back pain. I have suffered with IBS almost 28 years. I didn't hear of TMS until 5 weeks ago. I wonder if they are related, but since I have dealt with IBS dietary issues and numerous meds for IBS, I have started to look at the connection. My back started aching about 5 years ago. I only got fed up this past Dec to try and fix it and found out about Dr. Sarno. I hope your connection heals your IBS. I know the more anxious I become, my IBS flares up. I have it more or less controlled by diet, food portions, acacia fiber, lglutamine and a probiotic. I hope my TMS discovery also helps my IBS. Best of luck!

Stella likes this.
  5. dcl1597

dcl1597 New Member

Thank you, KatheC! IBS has been so miserable for me and I can't imagine your struggle with it for 28 years! Hoping that this TMS journey solves both of our IBS woes.

6. Stella

Stella Well known member

You both have come to the right place. If you haven't already read one of Dr. SARNO'S books. I like the Mind Body Prescription. You both will learn so much about yourselves. And you will learn tools to help you manage yourself.

Keep us updated on your progress. You will now find out who you really are. I sure had no clue. I new I was a people pleaser. I never thought about what that meant. I suppressed my true feelings so I wouldn't be rejected. I pushed all that anger and fear deep into my gut.

Welcome. ..you will both do just great.

7. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Most of us who have or had TMS pain try too hard to please others. It just ain't worth it. Who cares if some people reject us. The important thing is not to reject ourselves.

8. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Welcome Dc and Kathe! I too had horrible IBS in college and grad school. I still eat healthfully and avoid certain foods, but have not taken IBS medication in over 20 years!
    I have 2 suggestions for delving into the program: 1. Dr. John Sarno's books-- all are good, but my fav is Healing Back Pain and 2. The SEP or Structred Educational Program, found on this wiki.
    Blessings to you both on your journeys!