1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Wise advice from Prince Ea on depression

Discussion in 'Mindbody Video Library' started by Ellen, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

2. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

Like, like. "This too shall pass" and "never make a permanent decision from a temporary emotion". Good stuff.

Lizzy likes this.
  3. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

everyone does not suffer from depression. you cannot simply think your way out of a depression, if you can you don't have full blown depression.

He isn't doing any harm and will give succour to people feeling down in the dumps but important to make the distinction.

4. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

I don't know, because I can only speak for myself, but...I was diagnosed with major depression and post traumatic stress, took antidepressants to literally get off the couch and into counselling. I was in therapy 3 years and alot of what I learned was to identify lies in my thinking and think truth. Emotions follow my thinking to a huge degree.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    IrishSceptic and Peggy like this.
  5. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Oh Im not saying that you cannot relearn patterns of thinking, of course you can!
    ironically it may have be ingrained patterns of thinking learned in childhood that leave someone predisposed to depression*.

Melanie Fennells book on Self Esteem has been very useful for me personally. If you can recognise and tame the inner critic then you are halfway there. its not blaming the person but empowering them to take charge. this begins a positive cycle instead of the vicious one that lead to problems in the first place.

'Emotions follow my thinking to a huge degree' this is typical for everyone but I think more pronounced in classic TMS personality and can make relationships very challenging.

*im aware certain types of depression dont respond to counselling or indeed medication. a lot of the time depression has no obvious cause but can be traced to negative reinforcement and self criticism getting out of hand.

Lizzy likes this.