1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Will this work?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by hurty heel, Jul 3, 2017.

1. hurty heel

hurty heel New Member

I've finally committed to doing the 6 week program even though I've known for years that I'm prone to very physical reactions to stress. What has stopped me committing to this before and what's different now I'm not sure. Though I buy into the concept completely, there are always nagging doubts when a new pain comes along. Apart from simply realising that the pain is not borne of a physical problem, how should I react to it? Talk to it? Say something to myself? Try to acknowledge whatever I'm feeling at the time? I have a tendency to put myself under pressure, like many TMS sufferers and I can feel it creeping in already!

2. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

Hi and welcome @hurty heel! It's really hard to do, but try not to put yourself under any time pressure for healing.

People react to their pain in different ways - it's different for each person on what's effective. I've screamed at it, told it to shut the (bleep) up, but for me the best thing has been to say, I don't need you to show me that I have underlying issues. That's a badly paraphrased repeat of something I read on the forum the other day, but I hope you get my meaning.

I've been working on my TMS for about a month now and am finally starting to see some real progress. It's really exciting when you turn that corner.

As for nagging doubts, I've been there. A new pain comes up and I think, "well, maybe this one is REAL". It gets easier and easier to instantly realize it's just more TMS trying to bug you. It's really retraining your mind...which sounds easier than it is.

--Cricket

Ellen likes this.
  3. hurty heel

hurty heel New Member

Thank you Cricket - that's really helpful. I've been reading what you've posted on other threads and it's really reassuring to hear how you've approached it.

Celayne likes this.
  4. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

There are as many approaches as there are TMSers - but there is an underlying commonality to it all. Keep us posted on your journey!

5. srton

srton Well known member

I do the same thing - feel the pain and try to "logic" my way out of it. I'm now trying to just sit with the emotion. Trying to get my head out of the game cause my head is what has gotten me in trouble in the first place.