1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Will that be me?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by mikestevemike, Feb 22, 2017.

1. mikestevemike

mikestevemike Newcomer

Hello! Very happy to find this place, thanks for having me. Watched Dr. Sarno's 20/20 segment. The success stories there, and the few I've read here so far, are of course exciting. Hoping that will be me.

Been reading Healing Back Pain, it is inspiring. I get what folks say when they comment "I see myself on every page." I'm a Crohn's sufferer going on about 15 years of prescribed medications that have me symptom-free, pretty much in remission, for about 10 years but now hoping I can get off them entirely. I am a worrier, a stuffer, a forecaster of worst-case scenarios, an over-planner. But a stuffer to the point that overall I've tried to push through the pain (mainly neck and shoulders for me) and keep doing things I like to do despite the misery. I feel thankful to find this program at a point where only recently, past 6 mos. or so, the pain has intermittently gotten bad enough where I've avoided certain activities, mainly biking. After reading a few stories of others here, and how consistently limiting the pain is for folks, it makes me feel like I've been fortunate, that maybe what I've suffered with has been minimal to moderate though pesky nonetheless. Since beginning to think about TMS a couple weeks ago (heard Howard Stern talk about it, read a bit online, bought Healing Back Pain, now I'm here) the pain has been unusually erratic; a couple great days, then it returns intensely, then subsides to a dull throb even with some odd, very noticeable shifts of location right as I feel stress creeping in (am I imagining this?). It is indeed all in my head.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Mikestevemike,

Welcome to the Forum. I am glad you found this community and the Wiki.

I have an aquaintence who cured herself of Crohn's disease using an emotional approach, without finding Dr. Sarno's work. I am sure you're on the right path. Having new symptoms, symptoms coming and going is common. I hope you find all of Dr. Sarno's books and read them until you really understand. We also have free programs at the Wiki including the TMS Recovery Program and the Structured Education Program.

Here is a thread about engaging Dr. Sarno's work, gleaned from his writing by Forest, the site administrator and creator.

http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/section-1-introduction.4628/#post-28646 (Official Thread - Section 1 Introduction)

Andy B

3. mikestevemike

mikestevemike Newcomer

Hi Andy, thanks for your response. Yes, hoping to apply this to Crohn's at some point in the near future but first I need to lick this back/neck pain. And yeah, I do feel like I'm on the right path. I'm doing the Structured Education Program, currently day 2! Thanks again for your response, appreciate the link, I'll definitely check it out.

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Mikestevemike. I too welcome you to this TMS healing community. The crux of Dr. Sarno's TMS theory is his 12 Daily Reminders. It will help you heal if you go over them each day. Believing 100 percent in TMS emotions causing physical pain is essential in healing. Looks like you're on the right track. But don't rush wanting to be totally pain free and writing a success story. You will write one, but be patient and persevere.

5. mikestevemike

mikestevemike Newcomer

Hi Walt, thanks. Yes, I've been carrying a printout of the 12 daily reminders around with me the last few days. It is extremely helpful. Also making an effort to continually think to myself "I never have back/neck pain" and "I am pain free" pretty much all day long. Already feeling a slight noticeable difference but yes, trying not to rush things is a good tip. Feeling very optimistic, thanks for the kind words....