1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Will emotional caused setbacks ever stop

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by riverrat, Apr 14, 2017.

1. riverrat

riverrat Well known member

I know this pain is so stress and negative emotionally induced. Had a very upsetting and emotional week from feeling very hurt by someone who loves me. Been an emotional roller coaster and feeling so alone and unloved right now. And so of course pain is much worse. Had been having some decent improvement. But I can't take the emotional distress Ive felt and so this returns. Do we ever learn to cope with emotional stress or hurt and not have a setback?

2. Benjiro

Benjiro Peer Supporter

I've seen countless people who've made huge strides in this area. No one ever becomes TMS-proof because the process is wired into our biology, but you can get to a point where setbacks are few and short-lived. Remember that no matter what happens to you, you already have the capability within you to process it in a healthy way without the need for a physical symptom -- the rest comes down to honing insights and strategies that enable you to harness that ability.

Ellen likes this.
  3. riverrat

Thank you!

4. Lori

Lori Well known member

Actually I've learned a lot about this in the past few years.

I would say when you felt hurt, can you go back to the moment when the emotional pain happened? Can you feel what you felt in that moment where the hurt hit you? Then stop. When was the FIRST time you ever felt that way? go with what comes up first. 99% of the time is related to a childhood event. When was the first time you felt unloved and alone?

Once acknowledging that, feeling the feelings the child felt, say what the child wanted to really say. . .even if it means yelling and screaming. . . after that view the adult you and comfort the child. That is treating the root cause. . . and I have personally seen how that heals the trauma -- thus eliminating the triggers. It is possible to get to the point where you are not triggered. And most upsets are triggers based on past events.

Healing the cause. . .:)

veritybrown and Ellen like this.
  5. riverrat

Thank you !