Why Somatic Tracking might not be working for you. (The science and theory behind why active visualisation works better for some.)

BloodMoon

Beloved Grand Eagle
I wanted to make a post about Somatic Tracking because I see people getting very frustrated and disillusioned when it doesn’t work for them. We often hear about the effectiveness of Pain Reprocessing Therapy (PRT). But when we try to sit with our pain with "neutral curiosity" and nothing changes—or it gets worse—it’s easy to feel like we’re failing.

If Somatic Tracking is backfiring or doing nothing for you, I don't believe you're doing it wrong. The clinical theory behind it might actually be missing what your specific nervous system needs right now. Looking at the neuroscience of pain management, it makes perfect sense why pure tracking fails for some—and why active, metaphorical visualisation can be a highly effective alternative.

I actually wanted to share a personal win with this. I had been trying standard tracking, but it wasn't helping me. So, I decided to try something different. I started spending a little time each day visualising oiling my clicking jaw joint, picturing it becoming completely lubricated, smooth, and moving without friction. Amazingly, my jaw is now clicking much less.

With a little help from AI to help me put this together, here is the actual science and theory behind why active visualisation like this can work so well:

1. Neuroimaging shows "neutrality" can cause threat hyper-focus
Somatic Tracking asks you to look at a painful sensation objectively. However, functional MRI (fMRI) studies show that chronic pain significantly alters the brain's body-self neuromatrix. If an area is chronically tight or painful, your amygdala and anterior cingulate cortex (ACC) are already flashing with danger signals. Forcing yourself to pay close attention to that spot under the guise of "neutrality" can accidentally result in hyper-vigilance. Instead of calming the brain, you are shining a massive spotlight on the alarm system, which can cause the brain to dial up the tension and pain volume.

2. Active visualisation activates the Gate Control Theory
Pure Somatic Tracking is passive—you just watch and allow. But many of us have nervous systems stuck in a severe fight-or-flight state. Sitting still and just "observing" a fire feels terrifying. Your nervous system might actually require a sense of agency and action.

This is where active, metaphor-based guided imagery shines. When you visualise a highly specific, comforting physical action—like oiling stiff joints, softening rigid tissues, or physically "scraping" and disposing of the tension and pain—you trigger the classic Gate Control Theory of Pain.

By flooding your brain with detailed, non-threatening sensory inputs (picturing the smooth glide of oil, or the weight of pain being thrown away), you are sending descending signals from the brain down to the nervous system. This heavy cognitive engagement effectively "closes the neural gate", blocking the upward transmission of distress signals.

3. Turning off the "Bracing" Reflex
When a joint is clicking or painful, the surrounding muscles instinctively tighten up to protect it. This is called muscle bracing, and it actually increases friction and makes clicking worse. By deeply focusing on a soothing metaphor like "lubricating the joint", you physically trigger the parasympathetic nervous system. Your brain stops sending the alarm signals that cause those jaw muscles to lock up. As the muscles relax, blood flow increases, the joint decompression allows for smoother tracking, and your body naturally releases endorphins (our internal painkillers).

The Bottom Line
If purely observing your pain makes you anxious or does nothing for you, don't force it. If imagining yourself lubricating your tissues or disposing of the heavy tension gives you relief, that is a completely valid, neurophysiologically sound way to retrain your brain. The best tool is the one that actually brings your nervous system peace.
 
This is a great post, thank you for sharing. I'm thankful somatic tracking works for me, but I've also found visualization helps. I also have issues with my TMJ joint. I like your idea of visualizing oiling it. I'm going to try that tonight. I like to visualize, in a non creepy way, unhooking my jaw bone from my face and setting it on a shelf to rest overnight. That allows all of the muscles, tendons, ligaments, whatever is compressed between the joint, to release and relax overnight. I'm going to add visualizing oiling the jaw while I'm at it!
 
Back
Top