1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Why is it that we cannot get people to believe they have TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Goldy, Nov 17, 2019.

1. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

I have two sisters, two cousins, a niece and many others I know that have TMS as well. I've sent them links, given books and explained to some degree about why they have pain. I have told them I'm starting to feel better. They don't respond, and they disregard the information. I don't get it? Would they rather feel pain and go to doctors that can't help them?

I really try now to not talk about it; what's the sense? But it's so frustrating to know that I could help someone else with their pain. I know you have to be ready to receive this information. I know a lot of people (maybe including me earlier on) still believe something is wrong, someone is missing something, the doctors can help. I researched and researched everything on the internet until I found TMS on my own. If I hadn't stumbled on the Curable app, I probably would have still gone from doctor to doctor.

I believe the medical community is largely responsible for not making us aware of TMS because they can't make money off telling people to journal, meditate, read books or go onto the TMSwiki for information. That's why I want to spread the word, but no one will listen because it's not mainstream. I feel as though I have to repress this which isn't good for the process...in addition, it creates a little doubt for myself that others don't believe this.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    hecate105, Linden and Baseball65 like this.
  2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Unfortunately most people are brainwashed by the medical industry and false belief systems we have in society. Most people cannot grasp that the pain is stemming from their brain. This concept is lost on many for some reason. I've even been derided and attacked for suggesting it. It takes centuries for paradigm shifts in thinking.

Goldy likes this.
  3. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

I feel so fortunate to finally find out what was truly wrong. I searched on google 24/7 for answers for over two years. I don't know why anyone would want to stay like this this. I know absolutely nothing worked for me until I learned about TMS.

miffybunny likes this.
  4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

On the one hand, I can be frustrated that so few are open to a TMS approach. Dr. Sarno expressed this as "one in 10" were able take in this information and act on it. And he was a physician expressing his professional diagnosis. So this is what we're "up against."

On the other hand, I feel so fortunate to know what I do, and offer help, sometimes received by others. If you even help one person by passing along information to a receptive person Goldy, I just want to express, this is a huge gift.

And I get your frustration.

We can also be very excited that we know something which is at the ground floor of treatment for pain and so many epidemic symptoms. How cool is that!?

As you say miffybunny, it takes centuries.

miffybunny and Goldy like this.
  5. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

I feel fortunate that I know about TMS. I have told a lot of people about it, but not one of them have applied it. Hopefully one day I can help someone. The therapist I'm working said she had the good fortune of attending Dr. Sarno's lectures, so she accepts it. There's no way I could go to a therapist and not have them believe. I'm really trying to deal with the "frustration emotion" on this one which turns into the "anger emotion" which is good because I'm trying to bring that anger out of me. :)

6. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

and PS. I'm still working on it and still not 100%, but I went from being pretty much a shut in and not being able to go out to eat or sit at my dinner table to sitting down right now and typing this.I'm also living a normal life thanks to wonderful Dr. Sarno and all of you who coach and teach us about TMS!

miffybunny and HattieNC like this.
  7. mbo

mbo Well known member

That's also my experience !!!! SAD ... but TRUE
    Never surrender with the message of hope by John Sarno.

8. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

I might have just recently gotten through to my niece. She has suffered from "fibromyalgia" for years and has frequent infections. She told me she's sick of feeling bad. I think that's when someone will try anything! I'm still learning the process myself and giving her the info and links to healing. She said "we have bad genes", and I told her that thinking was false and that she's actually young and healthy and she can and will feel good if she sticks to the program! My husband tells me to stop trying to cure the world and stick to my own recovery, but I just feel our mission as TMS'rs is to spread the word so others will become aware and stop falling victim to doctors prescribing the wrong type of treatment. A lot of this is fueled by my anger toward the doctors that incorrectly diagnosed me and caused me a lot of heartache, anguish and $$$!

Linden likes this.
  9. Linden

Linden New Member

I completely identify with everything on this thread.... The cure is working for me so amazingly well, and it's so frustrating to see friends and family CHOOSING to continue to live in pain because 'they've tried everything' or 'it wouldn't work for me, my problem is real' etc etc.... I sense in myself it's creating anger which is obviously not great when I'm in the middle of getting rid of anger! I've promised myself that I will only tell people once, then it's up to them to ask me about it. We could all drive ourselves nuts on this, not to mention causing difficult in relationships. So difficult though! I want the entire WORLD to know about TMS to stop Big Pharma peddling its unnecessary poison, and think how hospital waiting lists would almost disappear if people weren't queuing for pain management and procedures/surgery that they don't even need! Our good old NHS could be in the black for once. Alas though the vested interests of almost all healthcare practitioners apart from those enlightened enough to take on curing TMS sufferers, and of course the profits of the pill-pushers will continue to keep people in the dark. We must lead by example and display our cures!

JanAtheCPA and Goldy like this.
  10. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

I feel your anger. I was on advil/aleve for quite awhile and other medications, and they did nothing for me! And a rheumatologist wanted to put me on a pretty hefty (and risky) medication. I'm SO glad I declined. Except for hormones, I'm on ZERO prescriptions now. I know there are some that are necessary and life saving, but I see doctors as legal drug dealers. Just look at all the drug ads on tv (thankfully, I can fast forward and not have to listen to the b.s.!)

Good idea just putting the message out once and then they will come to you if they want.

11. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

I know what you mean - it can be absolutely obvious and people are practically screaming out the symptoms, cause and then they stop short of believing it.....
    Very frustrating.....
    I'm afraid now that I always tell people and am very honest about it being psychosomatic and explain things as best I can,,,, but if they fail to pick it up and run with it - it is their problem!! I am not going to make myself ill worrying about them - family, friends or no!!
    There's a wonderful saying - 'Not my circus, not my monkeys...!'
    Having said that - if your niece is open to it - get her to read my profile - 22 years of fibromyalgia, all that suffering and lost time.... if even one person changes their life because of your words - it is worth it....!
    Hey - you already convinced and healed one person...... YOU!!

Goldy likes this.
  12. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

I will look at your profile and try to show it to her. I think if I lived near here and went over there and showed her everything and looked her into the eyes and said "you don't have to feel like this anymore", she would listen; perhaps. Instead, I see her constantly posting on FB about how stressed out she is raising four children. I've sent her the basics; it's up to her to reach out now.

I haven't healed me completely yet. Definitely feeling better, but I'm still a work in progress. To tell you the truth, I wish TMS would be on every news channel, every magazine and newspaper!

Thanks for reaching out!

hecate105 and Linden like this.
  13. Linden

Linden New Member

I'm ready to tell anyone and everyone and soon will put a post on Facebook about it, hopefully that will spread the word. Alas we can't force anyone and it is SO frustrating but I'm going to stop trying to persuade others and lead by example! I'm a different person since I started this program - pain has gone from 8-10 down to 1-2 most of the time. That is a triumph as pills/potions/treatments didn't touch it at all - I must have spent countless thousands over the years, and now my cure has just cost me a few pounds on books. Grateful beyond belief to those amazing authors Sarno/Schechter/Ozanich for their amazing work.

JanAtheCPA and hecate105 like this.