1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Why does pain go away when eating?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by sarah2254, May 27, 2020.

1. sarah2254

sarah2254 Peer Supporter

I am wondering if anyone else also has noticed that their pain just disappears when they're eating? Mine seems to significantly reduce whenever I eat. Does eating affect the autonomic nervous system indirectly or help calm us down in anyway? i.e. send a message to the brain of safety? Wondering if anyone else has noticed this

2. Kozas

Kozas Well known member

Yes and the funniest thing is that one my primary pain region is... teeth and surrounding area! I have constant 24h teeth pain, that subside whenever I eat. That's really strange

sarah2254 likes this.
  3. Lonewolfbunny

Lonewolfbunny Peer Supporter

Yes!

sarah2254 likes this.
  4. Lonewolfbunny

Maybe because eating causes so much sensory inputs...the brain can't compete?

sarah2254 likes this.
  5. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Because you're feeling safe and attended to, nourished, supported?

Boston Redsox and sarah2254 like this.
  6. sarah2254

sarah2254 Peer Supporter

this is a really good theory. i also notice that my pain isn't as bad when I'm listening to music. This would back your theory (i.e., auditory senses overpowering pain signals maybe?)

7. sarah2254

sarah2254 Peer Supporter

that makes sense! if only I could eat 24/7 haha

8. sarah2254

sarah2254 Peer Supporter

hmm, very interesting! Glad to know I'm not the only one who has noticed this. I feel that this gives me hope to get rid of the pain completely

9. Lonewolfbunny

It is just something I thought because it happens with me...and there is so much that goes on when we eat...taste...smell temperature texture swallowing

sarah2254 likes this.
  10. Lonewolfbunny

I have been dealing with some nerve pain in my teeth and eating, brushing my teeth etc...makes it better. So does gardening, being asleep, being alone...
    Working is the challenge because my mind thinks being at work is dangerous. Its not. But I have some issues around self confidence, fear, anxiety etc...that I am am focusing on.

sarah2254 likes this.
  11. sarah2254

sarah2254 Peer Supporter

I am the exact same way with respect to self-confidence, fear, anxiety, etc. I only experienced pain when typing without wrist braces because my brain was convinced i needed them. trying to re-condition myself to type without braces

Lonewolfbunny likes this.
  12. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

Yes this is true for me too. Don't know why

sarah2254 likes this.
  13. BMC1995

BMC1995 New Member

My guess would be the stimulation is overriding the pain pathway superimposed on a change in balance from sympathetic activity (overactivity of) to parasympathetic activity.

sarah2254 likes this.
  14. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

Do you think that if this is evidence that the pain is psychological / TMS, or do you think that any kind of pain might respond this way?

sarah2254 likes this.
  15. Kittyruns

Kittyruns Peer Supporter

Yep! Same here!

sarah2254 likes this.
  16. sarah2254

sarah2254 Peer Supporter

I'm not too sure, but it leads me to believe the pain is psychologically-induced.

17. Andy Bayliss

For all who have noticed changes like this, in symptoms related to external stimulation, starting with Sarah:
    In doing TMS work, these experiences are powerful, and should be recognized as evidence of TMS. Many folks would be very happy to see interesting patterns like this in their own symptoms, because it is an important part of finding your way out of this. The questions you ask, the observations of patterns, the changes over time ----all undermine the believably that a symptom is physically caused. My hope is that you all will use these experiences to convince yourselves deeply that you don't have anything physically wrong with you. Or deepen this understanding.

Forest, Lonewolfbunny and sarah2254 like this.
  18. sarah2254

sarah2254 Peer Supporter

Hi Andy,

Thank you for your encouraging words! I have definitely developed 100% confidence in TMS because of observations like this. I believe eating may calm the nervous system. The absence of pain when eating is further proof it cannot be physical. I appreciate your constant engagement and hope you have a fantastic night!

19. Andy Bayliss

Thank you, and you're welcome Sarah~! Glad you're finding encouragement here.

sarah2254 likes this.