1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Why does my foot not calm down?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Renate, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Renate

Renate Peer Supporter

Over the past few months I have made some progress. But there is still something I can not deal with:
    When I walk in the city for 15-20 minutes, I am stressed (the fear of pain) because I don't know if there will be many people in the shops or if I must wait at the check-out (the pain is in my foot).
    I think it will take time until I will find out how to calm my nerves successfully. I know the methods but until now I did not find the right one for me.

What I would therefore like to know is:
    When I come home I lay down and stay most of the day on the couch.
    But: my foot doesn't calm down any more until bedtime.
    Even meditations, body-scan, mindfulness or a siesta don't help.
    Is anyone experiencing the same? What could I do in this situation?

2. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

Mine was the same! Knock on wood, I am finally making progress after 3 years! Keep on my friend. You are doing great. 20 minutes walking in the city on concrete sounds pretty amazing.

3. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Hi Renate,

Here I was despairing about a flare up in foot pain in the last 5 days, went on the forum just now and read of your recent bout. In my case, the cycle of nerve pain began years ago with a very slight foot injury but generated pain all over the body. Doctors are used to seeing back troubles causing foot pain, but in my case was always the opposite. When at its worst, flexing exacerbates it so I even wear a sneaker to bed. The fact that you can walk for 15 or 20 minutes while you browse shops is wonderful. I miss shopping so much!

Wishing you a breakthrough soon.

Lavender

P.S. In monitoring the conditions leading to flare ups, have you ever considered that sometimes there is a ‘trapped” feeling when in line at a check-out? The anxiety experts mention that.

4. Bernie

Bernie Newcomer

I've been dealing with foot pain & neuropathy for 8 years and have had 3 procedures on one foot which did nothing to relieve the pain. Now that I'm treating this as TMS related since there is nothing structurally wrong with my feet I'm getting some relief. Whenever, I feel numbness or pain, I tell my self that this is just a sensation and nothing is structurally wrong and try to divert my attention from it. I sometimes verbally yell out load at my brain and tell it that I know what's going on and that it is trying to distract me from thinking psychologically. Since the weather has warmed up, I'm wearing open sandals now which does give me some relief. I'm also swimming again which used to be problematic for my feet. Now have to get to the point where I can walk in closed shoes on hard surfaces for extended periods of time.

5. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

I gave up on shoes! See my article on I hate shoes.

6. Lavender

Lavender Well known member

Wouldn’t it be helpful if more TMS practitioners were participating on the forum as they were previously? It would be beneficial to have an expert make the connection between painful foot flexes, sensation of lumps on the sole, and stabbings (clearly nerve pain) and TMS emotions. It’s even more puzzling when they are produced by certain movements.

7. mncjl123

mncjl123 Peer Supporter

Yes, not many TMS practioners participating anymore. We need you!

8. karinabrown

karinabrown Well known member

hello Renate,

i can relate to everything you mentioned (and a lot more)
    i am dealing with footpain for 4 years but making progress still.
    even the amount of time you mentioned is the same as i can max handle. Rows in shops are scary indeed . i am working on that. wbat a bit works for me is testing ' it out at home : try standing tbere. when i know i can psysically do it, i can use that outdoors to remind me of tbat.
    When my footpain started i could not do anything..even a sock on my feet was unbearable. let alone a shoe (i have one painfull feet)
    made progress the past years but so slow i got depressed. also had other pains and at first it seemed my footpain had to do with my back. But never fimd anything
    now i do not think that anymore.
    Since discovering tms i made more progress despite my doubts and fears.
    For me slowly keep adding steps and keep practicing different situations has helped.
    Believing my emotions could have to do with having footpain is still so hard for me.
    Even the start of this pain (extreme nervepain) was a puzzle.
    i had to let go the why and how part of tbat.
    for a long time that was a thing that was on my mind 24 hours a day. in fact i was at a point tbat my foot was my whole day: everthing was about that : i knew then that i had to put energy in other things too: or at least try that as hard as possible and i did.
    i realize totally that fear is keeping the pain going amd that is my focus now.
    making small walks twice a week has helped me so far .it is still a little and hoping for more but really slowly increasing my mobility gave me some hope and a bit more confidence: wich is huge for now.
    Last week i walked my little walk : i felt discomfored (way better than real pain) but the sun shine was on my face : i felt my legs move..felt good to get some movement: i thought : hey maybe it is not perfect but for now i will enjoy the sun and enjoy some exersize..maybe the rest will follow.
    i will go out anyway..that was small victory for me! so maybe small steps make progress too !

greetings karina

9. Renate

Renate Peer Supporter

Thank you all very much for your replies!
    After 5 years that I've been lying at home, it's really a progress to walk in the city! I wish the healing would be faster but I know: no calendar watching!
    Bernie, I know the shoe- problem. Sandals are much better than closed shoes....
    Karinabrown, the idea of "testing" things out at home is a great idea! At home I can stand much longer than in a shop.
    So when I am standing in my citchen I will imagine that I am in a row in a shop!

10. karinabrown

hai Renate,

when you can stand in your kitchen at least you know that standing in a row causing paim is stress related.
    just to understand : you say 'lying' at home' why is that ? you have other pains too or does your feet hurt also sitting on a chair?
    (been there too...)

karina

11. Renate

Renate Peer Supporter

Hi karinbrown, sitting has been a problem for five years, because my foot hurt when I was sitting. So I really have been
    l y i n g all that time. Now it's a little bit better, I can sit for an hour once a day.
    You went through the same? i thought I was the only person (in the world :)) who could not sit because of foot pain!?

PS: my mother language is german.....

12. karinabrown

hi Renate,

yes i know the sitting issue, could not bear to touch my foot on the floor. that is over now. but at that time: sheets were a problem..shower etc
    i did sit but my foot off the floor..caused me other pains i think ..strange postures.
    what about you lying down ? how much ? how you cope ? gladly you do go out a bit also i understand ? how much can you be on that foot on a daily basis?
    i am past that part ..now real problem is walking longer at the time.
    my days are : 10 min walks and then sit etc etc. but the lying is gone mostly. working hard to extend the walks.
    but i know exactly what you mean!
    strange indeed to hear similar story..wonder how yours began.
    questions..questions
    i am sorry if you find it too much
    i am from the netherlands to reply to you

karina

13. plumeria45

plumeria45 New Member

14. plumeria45

plumeria45 New Member

I have just started this journey and have made good progress except my feet the numbness , tingling and stabbing pain also creepy feelings I have been analyzing this setback and came to realize my feet were the first symptom that lead to my other pain conditions so maybe my feet are the last hold out my in my subconscious
    so I will just keep going and have faith I will be pain free soon thanks for all your comments on feet I was looking for others in the same boat it really helps to know you are not alone with these stubborn feet lol

15. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I am in the same boat with same pains they change but will not quit ...yes I am going threw a stressful time ...but God I know I will be pain free one day