1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Why do people who see a Physio get cured?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Shori, Jun 29, 2017.

1. Shori

Shori Peer Supporter

Hi guys,

There is a q's that lately keeps coming up in my mind and I'm sure that I read about it in one of Dr. Sarno's and Steve Ozanich's books, but can't remember exactly what the answer was anymore. Hoping someone can help.

I keep asking myself as to why a couple of people I know got cured of their sciatica over a period of time after seeing a physio and doing the exercises they were recommended? I just can't answer this q's. Is it the Placebo effect?

As always your advise is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  2. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

I don't know for certain, but it sounds to me as if seeing the physio and doing the exercises there might well be a placebo effect.

It hasn't worked that way for me, and at times I have wished for the placebo effect as a quick-fix, but I know in the long run it's not that helpful for TMS.

3. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

I am not quoting Sarno or SteveO, but in my mind it is placebo. The mind gets eased that the therapy will work, and if the emotional turmoil that started things in the first place dies down too, you can heal for a long period of time. However when the emotions don't die down or flare up again, it often returns soon or new symptoms develop.
    Beautiful dog by the way :)

4. Sonic

Sonic Peer Supporter

From what I have read, this would be a placebo effect. We are all different and in some cases people will get "cured" from physio work and others who do it will be sending messages to their unconscious that there is something structurally wrong with them which prolongs the symptoms.

People who get "cured" with physio will more than likely have their symptoms pop up again later or experiance the symptom imperitive.

Great thing about Sarnos method is that you don't have to waste your time doing crazy stretches morning, noon and night.

esnanna likes this.
  5. MindBodyPT

MindBodyPT Beloved Grand Eagle

As a PT myself, I can tell you that people with TMS who come to see me and get "cured" are pretty rare. It may happen but I've had very few people with TMS who I don't use any ideas of TMS with who actually become pain free entirely. Many people have a reduction in pain, thats true. I think anyone who comes in with TMS and gets rid of all their pain/sciatica with stretches and exercises has experienced a placebo effect. I think that people who could have this type of success believe 100% in the PT and this facilitates the recovery. Coming in and having a relaxing therapy session with an empathetic therapist can also help reduce pain...the effect of the therapeutic relationship with the practitioner is pretty big. Same is true of chiro, acupuncture, massage or other modalities. Hope that helps!

For the record, I am still working through how to deal with TMS clients who don't want to hear the TMS message...I just tell myself this is their best option (much preferable to surgery or medication) even if they don't want to truly get to the bottom of the issue.

6. c90danwaiel

c90danwaiel Peer Supporter

My only brief recovery from my constant TMS symptoms was when I saw a physical therapist. In my case, I think I believed so strongly in what she was saying (pelvic misalignment), that when she told me, "Oh yes, this is it. We can fix this.", I got very positive. It lasted about a week and then when the pain started getting worse at one point, I began catastrophizing and the pain returned full force. PT didn't do anything for me after that.

7. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

100% Brother! PLACEBO.....

My sister just had her second major back surgery. PLACEBO. I used to get some relief from Chiro PLACEBO.

Along with the power of suggestion , the placebo shows how very, very powerful "what we believe" has to do with the outcome of things. Not only in TMS, but in a lot of things. I am not here to peddle 'The Secret" (LOL) but I have been reading a lot of Emmet Fox lately and it has profoundly changed/inspired me. Eerily effective.

So that same mechanism by which we are harmed (our minds/subconscious) we can also exploit for all kind of beneficial stuff in our lives. I have done everything from fix complicated plumbing problems(not a plumber) to repairing broken relationships using Mr. Fox's 'Golden Key'... a sort of Mind/spirit combo.

when I first 'got' Sarno, I sometimes wondered about the massive numbers of people who believed otherwise, and how I might be a Kook. Nowadays I have compassion for people who haven't found a solution.... and if you read my evangelizing post, it is only the most desperate who seem to be willing to open their minds

Celayne and Tennis Tom like this.
  8. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Hear, hear, Baseball65 is the Eric Hoffer of the TMS webs! Dr. Sarno's contribution to psychosomatic medicine is that TMS is a PROTECTOR--and not a punisher--a defense mechanism the sub-c intervenes with when life becomes too much.

Celayne likes this.
  9. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

Because until one is desperate, one can live with standard, ineffectual treatments.

10. Shori

Shori Peer Supporter

Thank you all for taking out the time to read my post, I so grateful for all the advise. You guys are great and I feel I have so much support here other then my partner. She is always encouraging me and keeps checking on me as to how the SEP is going for me :)

I have no doubt in TMS, I have already seen the results when my pain went down considerably for 2wks or so. Where I'm today is still way better then where I was 3 months ago. I was sleeping on the floor 2-3 times a wk and wanted to change the mattress. Now I sleep on the bed EVERYDAY and have no issues. I sit for longer times (used to struggle past 30mins before). Things have definitely improved for me.

I just fear that I might hit a plateau and this is as good as its going to get for me. I need to get over this kind of thinking. I'm reading and still have SEP to finish...it'll take time and I have lots of it to fix myself ;)

11. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Falling back or not progressing for a while is normal in recovering from TMS. Don't let it distract you too much.
    take care