1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Why are things so different when walking in the grass?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by SSG, Aug 8, 2014.

1. SSG

SSG Peer Supporter

Hello! I am really struggling lately, and have come back to this site for some support and (as many probably do), hoping to find someone who can relate! I have been having this calf/leg pain for months! I will skip the details as they are on another thread I posted months ago. However, I notice that when I walk on grass (instead of concrete, pavement, hardwood or tile floors), my pain is much less. I have looked online to see why this could be, and basically the only thing I find is that walking on the grass improves shin splints. My pain is mostly in the side of my calf...not where you find shin splints. So, does anyone have a theory here, or happen to have this happen to them? Thanks!

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is conditioning SSG, you probably already know that by now, thought I'd back you up and let you know.
    Bless you

SSG likes this.
  3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I think it's just because it feels SO GOOD! You're feet aren't all cramped up in shoes all hot and sweaty starved for oxygen--maybe it's TMS O2 deprivation of the tootsies. I'm on my way to play in a grass court tennis tournament in Oregon right now. I'll be playing barefoot like I normally do when playing on grass courts, unless some stuffy tennis director at some country club comes over and says, "Tom you must be properly attired, please put your shoes on." Playing barefoot on grass courts is how it's played in heaven and the equivalent of fifty chiroquackter sessions--if I believed in chiroquacktic that is. I also drive barefoot on road trips, it's so much more comfortable. I'm lucky at work that I can kick my shoes off.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
    SSG likes this.
  4. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

Hey SSG: I discovered "earthing" this year. There is a book called Earthing by Clinton Ober. It says how you can heal yourself by walking on the earth barefoot (and he has a few other techniques of earthing). Grass is usually moist so it conducts the earth's energy better. There are many video's on earthing as well on youtube. Basically, you are grounding yourself when you go barefoot on the earth. I think this is why I usually feel so much better in summer. Last night I went into the back yard on the damp grass and looked at the stars. Being connected to something bigger than yourself is a good for the soul.

Anne Walker, SSG and Tennis Tom like this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

If walking on grass helps, go for it. But be careful of uneven turf and holes.
    It's always good to walk "heel to toe" so you don't trip.

SSG likes this.
  6. SSG

SSG Peer Supporter

Thank you everyone! Herbie, I did consider it might be conditioning, but really wasn't sure...it feels like such an amazing difference. I feel like the muscles in my leg are so tense that instead of pounding them on pavement, the cushion of the grass is easier on them.

7. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

:joyful::wacky:
    ...and dog poop.

Anne Walker and SSG like this.
  8. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

I remember having chicken poop between my toes all the time on the farm (well maybe just some of the time, and not on purpose). It pays to watch where you step!