1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Derek S. Who to see about tms pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ih8pain, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Ih8pain

Ih8pain Newcomer

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I am 40 yr old mother of 4. For years I have had these flare ups in my upper back that moves into my shoulders, neck & base of my head causing migraines. The pain is a burning pain with tightness. I've recently had x-rays & my dr just tells me it's "just arthritis" & I feel it's more than that. This pain is debilitating when it flares. Doesn't take much for it to get out of control. I just want the pain gone. Who should I see about this as my family doctor doesn't seem to get how bad it is & how long it lasts. I've used TENS, muscle relaxers, muscle rubs, heating pads, NSAIDS & resting it, meaning laying in bed for 3-5 days to try & calm it down. Please help. Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2016
  2. pspa

pspa Well known member

3. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Thanks for your question.

If you are not comfortable with your family doctor's feedback, consider seeing a different physician. If you are exploring a mind-body etiology for the pain, I would consider seeing a doctor who specializes in TMS.

In my experience, the symptoms that you are experiencing could certainly be caused by TMS. Muscle tension and spasms are very common symptoms that I see people recover from often utilizing a TMS approach. That said, it is important that you are confident in the approach before committing fully to it.

Best of luck.

-Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.