1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Whether this feeling can cause TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Raj s, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Raj s

Raj s Peer Supporter

I was showing angry to a particular person.. to whom i shld have shown love.. i really feel sorry for watever i did till date to that person...i should have stepped up in so many instances in support of that person instead i was in the other side.. I came across this when i was journaling.. whether this feeling can cause TMS?

Tennis Tom likes this.
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes.

Forest likes this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree with TT. Yes, what you describe can cause TMS. Whenever there is internal conflict there is the possibility of TMS. Anytime we use or think the word "should" , that is a like a neon sign pointing the way to TMS.

Forest, JanAtheCPA and angelic333 like this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree that internal conflicts, how we may show anger to someone instead of compassion or love can cause TMS.
    The friendlier we are to each other, the better.

angelic333 likes this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks, Ellen for pointing out the "should" in Raj's post - this is a clue, isn't it?

The next step, Raj, is to forgive yourself for your behavior! We are only human, our brains automatically protect us in our interactions with others, because our brain is always scanning for danger - in other words, our brains are behaving negatively unless we are very conscious and aware and working hard to NOT behave negatively. This is not easy!

As long-time member Lori has told us many times, don't "should" on yourself! ;) (click on her name for Lori's story and recommendations)

You're on the right track, Raj.

~Jan

Last edited: Sep 18, 2014
    Ellen and Forest like this.
  6. Raj s

Raj s Peer Supporter

Thanks everyone :)

7. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree that it definitely can. Anything that "winds you up" inside can cause TMS. Sometimes listening to your body to see if our heart is beating a little faster, signaling the engagement of the Autonomic Nervous System (ANS) and the stress response is enough to figure out if TMS is engaged. Other times, you just have to trust yourself and attentively listen to your conscious emotions and feelings.

In all of the posts I've read, so much of the key to TMS treatment has been figuring out what "winds us up," and then allowing ourselves to "unwind," so that we can dissipate our tension. Tension, after all, is the first word in Dr. Sarno's original name for the disorder!