1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 25 Where I'm at

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MSZ812, Jun 16, 2015.

1. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

I've been in especially terrible pain for 2 weeks, much worse than the previous 15 months. Trouble sleeping, multiple urgent care visits, and missed work. I feel like the TMS is fighting me especially hard, but that I'm losing the battle. My fear is the biggest obstacle for me. I am supposed to take a vacation on Sunday which involves a couple hour plane flight. I've been very fearful, contemplating whether I can handle the preparation, car ride, LAX lines, and the plane ride. I keep going back and forth about whether I should go. I don't want to be a burden on my family if the pain I'm feeling now continues on vacation. I feel strongly that I have TMS, but I feel like I can't stand up to this increased pain. I keep pleading for the old pain to come back (how crazy does that sound?!), because at least I could manage that. Today's SEP reading was exactly what I needed, especially the success story.

How do you stand up to the pain when it literally keeps you off your feet?

2. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

Hang in there buddy, your pain getting worse is a good sign. When your onto it it will do anything to make you more fearful and preoccupied.

It takes courage but do what you feel you need to. Try reading some of Alan Gordans stuff about fear and outcome independence. When fear comes it's a chance to alter your relationship. Try to let the symptoms come and not focus on the body.

Find what techniques work for you ie meditatiin, mindfulness, etc abd use them. You need to calm your body down and have direction in your life. Dont worry about being a burden to your family you will be ok, your body is fine its your mind/emotions that need healing.

Keep at it and you will heal it just may take time. Good things come to those who wait. Wishing you best of luck abd I know what your going through. Your going to come out a warrior not a worrier in the end. We are what we believe.

Ryan

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, MSZ. Good advice from Ryan. Did you take the vacation Sunday? How did that go? Or is that this coming Sunday.
    If it's then, try to think positive, that you're going to be okay preparing for the trip and while you're on vacation.
    It's your mind giving you worry. Tell yourself all is going to be well. When anxious, do some deep breathing. It's profoundly calming.

4. MSZ812

MSZ812 Well known member

It's this coming Sunday, Walt. I've decided to go, no matter what.

Lizzy likes this.
  5. Lizzy

Lizzy Well known member

Good for you! Sometimes telling your sub-c that it will not stop you anymore is really powerful! I made a lot of progress with different ways at different times, one way was when I was fed up and just said , "bring it on, but I'm going to do it anyway!" I was just sick of my pain stopping me. Good luck!