1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Where does the educational program originate?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by maliolani, Jan 29, 2015.

1. maliolani

maliolani New Member

I see in the instructions for Day 3 of the educational program that it is talking about Dr. Sarno's 3 lists. I know that within the program these resources are discussed gradually as people go through the program. But I'm wondering where these and any other aspects of the program originally came from? Was it a book? I have Healing Back Pain, but there is no talk in there about making lists or specifically journaling about something. If it is from a book, I'd like to get that book. Or is it instead from Dr. Sarno's lectures and not available as a book in print? Thanks.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

That's a very good question. I'll forward it to Forest. If anyone knows the answer, he would.

maliolani likes this.
  3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Maliolani,

It derived from a wide variety of sources. The main books used as sources were :
    • the programs that Dr. Sarno described in his books (these evolved slightly over time - IIRC, lists may have appeared in Mindbody Prescription - in general, he wrote a new book every 8 years or so, so there was plenty of time for his approach to evolve)
    • Dr. Schechter's Mindbody Workbook (which is based on writing prompts)
    • Dr. Schubiner's online program (it's the same program as he uses in his clinic and that he put in his book)
    • James Pennebaker's books on journaling (and a couple other books on journaling)
    • Various other TMS books, such as the books by Clarke, Selfridge and Brady
    I think of the program as being like a college "survey" class. When designing it, I just wanted people to be exposed to all of the wonderful free resources out there. The goal is to expose you to a wide variety of ideas so that you can make an informed decision about which resonate the most for you (this is important, because if an approach doesn't resonate with you, it won't help you to respond differently to your symptoms, and symptom response modification is crucial).

There are a number of different approaches out there. I tend to find that the basics of accepting the diagnosis, resuming normal activities, modifying how you respond to your symptoms, and learning to be kind to yourself/find equanimity in your life are the most helpful. After watching people for the last six years, it seems like many people have to invent their own way of healing. I put a lot of journaling into the SEP, but that wasn't because I believe that people heal themselves through journaling. Rather, it was to help them accept the diagnosis, so they could see how it could play out in their own life.

4. maliolani

maliolani New Member

Thank you, Forest, for this background information.

Forest likes this.
  5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Forest, that was a great explanation of how the SEP was put together.
    I watched a 90 minute talk on PBS TV last night in which Deepak Chopra talked about his new book, THE FUTURE OF GOD.
    He says that science is coming closer to accepting the spiritual connection. Much of what he said is like we believe in TMS.
    He says meditation can be very important in achieving both mental and physical health, and offered some tehniques for
    more effective meditation. I'm going to buy the book and see if I can write a lengthy new thread about it, especially reporting
    on his meditation techniques and their importance in MindBody healing.

The program will probably be repeated on PBS stations nationwide, so I suggest that everyone watch for it.

Forest and Ellen like this.