1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

When you *understand* it's TMS and one symptom goes away, do more worse symptoms appear?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by learningmore, Jan 3, 2022.

Tags:
  1. learningmore

learningmore Peer Supporter

Maybe your back pain is gone but you get something different and less preferable? Is there like an extinction burst when you grasp that your pain is TMS?

Can this make the overall situation worse?

2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

The only time I have ever thought another pain is 'preferable' is when I am not having it (LOL)...all pain and discomfort sucks. Even when Sarno said "I am sure if we had a chance to, we would deal with the issues, rather than have the pain" (paraphrased)...more than once when the emotional pain came, I almost fondly remembered the back/leg/hand pain which kept me distracted from the horrible relationship/shame/problem...which explains the need for a symptom.

No. Truth and healing is always in the direction of light. Ignorance , pain,are always in the direction of dark. Period. Just because we don't like the scenery is no reason to stop walking, and worse, to turn back.

I have known people who started this, got better from their back pain and then had a "real" symptom which they treated with surgery,etc.... It was ALWAYS when they got to the non-negotiable, line in the sand of their ego...usually their really bad marriage or Parent relationship. Too painful...better to bury my head in the sand ....dance the medieval medical structural mambo... they forget of course, that the music never stops and there is no end to that dance...well there is, when you either run out of money or die.... but you know what I mean.

Just keep moving.

sababa, TG957 and miffybunny like this.
  3. learningmore

learningmore Peer Supporter

I mean like... it's all TMS, so do you want to get punched in the face or in the gut? They both suck. But you have a preference. When you realize it's TMS, your back pain goes away but now you have knee pain. Knee pain might be generating greater discomfort.

4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

That's what @Baseball65 means when he talks about emotional problems. You may have a revolving door of symptoms unless you address the underlying emotional problems that you unconsciously or consciously sweep under the rug. You should not aim to trade one pain for another, you should aim to re-wire your brain so it would stop generating pain signals.