1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

When you recognize stress... what do you do?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Seraphina, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Seraphina

Seraphina Peer Supporter

When you recognize stress (coming up internally or being put on you externally), what would be the good way to deal with it?

Should I either go with the stress, feel it, and naturally stay with it until it's resolved OR should I try (or force myself) to put it in a positive thinking?

I'm not sure if a good TMS approach... (let's say mindfulness) would be either 'just feel it and let the stress be whatever it wants to be naturally...whether or not it goes extreme to the end... just let it be and endure the result' or 'try to think positive and don't put a negative label on it.'

I came to this question as I felt more aching after I got additional (no-end) work from my boss. I'm confused if I should just naturally feel the stress, stay angry at him, deal with the stress (and maybe endure any resultant TMS pain) until I finish my work OR I should force myself to think it as a good opportunity to spend my time and attraction on other productive things than my pain. I think it's a matter of either fighting or calming my inner child...?

Hope you get what I mean and what I'm confused with...!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  2. ash86

ash86 Peer Supporter

I am not sure if I have the best approach either... but this works for me.

Remember stressful situations don't cause you to feel stressed, its your reaction to the situation. I usually think about how the situation makes me feel and acknowledge its normal to feel that way. Then I try to realize if there is something about the present situation that reminds me of a past hurt. For example: My boss kept adding more responsibilities that I felt were truly her's. I realized this is something that I felt my mom did when I was growing up. Then I tell my body to relax. Usually when I acknowledge my feelings and tell myself its normal, that is enough.

If its a chronic situation, maybe you need to address it calmly and collectively with the other person.

Hope this helps!

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Seraphina. I had a stressful morning today from my super-demanding boss (a book publisher).
    It began to drive me into a lot of frustration, anger, anxiety.
    Then I remembered that he is always impossible to please and also
    remembered Claire Weekes' on anxiety: FLOAT THROUGH IT.
    I did that (realizing none of it was all really that important) and relaxed.
    It also helped to LAUGH.

ash86 likes this.