When we’re stressed, the brain can automatically predict danger and react to familiar triggers. Curiosity can help interrupt that automatic response.

BloodMoon

Beloved Grand Eagle
"Stress and curiosity activate different very distinct parts of the brain and they both can't run at the same time. So, if you're very stressed, you can't be curious, but if you're curious you could turn the stress down." ~ Jackie Tan

Jackie Tan’s point (above) about curiosity and stress really stood out to me in this video below.

When we’re stressed, the brain can automatically predict danger and react to familiar triggers. Curiosity can help interrupt that automatic response.

Instead of thinking, “It’s hot — I’m going to feel awful,” try, “It’s hot. I wonder how I’ll feel today?”

Jackie isn’t saying curiosity cures the symptoms or that they are imaginary. Her point is that if the nervous system has learned certain threat predictions around symptoms, curiosity may help interrupt those automatic predictions rather than reinforcing them.

TIME STAMPS:
00:00 🏥 Meet Jackie Tan
01:24 🔍 The most important audit
05:21 🤔 What am I getting from this?
06:58 💡 Busy spells "death of the heart"
09:39 🤯 Stress and curiosity can't coexist
11:08 🌟 The nervous system made simple
13:41 ⚡ Chronic stress = chronic inflammation
14:30 🔑 A shoelace, not a snake
15:22 🔄 The smallest daily practice
17:25 🚫 What happened to the other five?
18:28 ⏳ Before it has to scream
19:34 💗 Are you terrified of joy?
21:33 🌟 Lego, finger dancing, raves
23:37 🔑 Chocolate at breakfas
t24:21 💡 Pick one thing
26:38 🔗 "Jackie, am I recovered?"
28:04 🏥 Sick care or health care?
29:22 🔍 Neuroplastic and biological

 
Interesting concept! I'll have to pay attention to that this week. Reminds me of being told that you can't be anxious if you're thinking of all the things you're grateful for.
 
I like using open-ended questions to shift my mind into curiosity when triggers show up. What specific open-ended phrases or questions have worked best for you in those moments?
I think the questions that help most are the ones that create space rather than immediately trying to solve the trigger. Things like, “What is this bringing up in me?”, “What story am I telling myself about this?”, and “Is there another way I could understand what’s happening?” I find they help me move from reacting to observing, which often changes the whole experience.
 
meacevroa2 said:
I like using open-ended questions to shift my mind into curiosity when triggers show up. What specific open-ended phrases or questions have worked best for you in those moments

Nice answer to this query, although the post and user have been removed for coming back later to insert a scammy little hyperlink right under the video that was inside the quote. Impossible to notice unless you were looking for it, which I was, because I flagged this post for monitoring as soon as I saw it. Why? It felt too vapid to be a genuine individual, and of course the user was brand-new. The post was generated by AI, I'd bet you dollars to donuts 😏
 
Back
Top