1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Amy W. When to Push Through the Pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Guest, Jan 13, 2018.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    I have been having cheek (mouth) pain for about a month. I happened after chewing during a meal. It has been diagnosed as either TMJ or Trigeminal Neuralgia. Having had TMS most of my life, I have to believe that either condition is the same. And, I don't want to go down the rabbit hole of Dr.s, opinions, surgeries, procedures, proding, xrays, catscans, mris.....

The anxiety of the pain vs. the anxiety worry and phobia about doctors and dentists is even worse!

I am in a lot of pain! And, I don't tolerate pain medications very well. So I opt for natural herbal supplements. Which case, either don't seem to help much.

Following Dr. Sarnos work, should I try to chew normally, or continue to baby the pain and puree my foods with a Vitamix as I have been doing for the past 3 weeks?

Do I continue to talk, sing and laugh? Or, keep quiet and subdued watching tv and resting my jaw/cheek/trigeminal nerve until it heals?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2018
  2. Jules

Jules Well known member

I know exactly what you’re going through. I was told I had trigeminal neuralgia, well, but for me, it ended up being an abscessed tooth. So, if you know that your teeth are healthy and you don’t have any pain in that area, I would chalk it up to severe TMS. I didn’t realize that it had come from my tooth, because the pain was radiating in my head, where it felt like I was being shocked every minute.

Also, I was put on Lyrica for about three weeks, and that did the trick for the excruciating pain. There’s no reason why you should be in pain that bad, so I would calm it down first, and then go after the TMS healing.

Good luck!
    Jules