1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

When to get off medication

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Zoeinoz, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Zoeinoz

Zoeinoz New Member

My most recent incidence of TMS (and when I discovered I have TMS) has been approximately two and a half months of acute upper back and neck pain. Happily after only a week and a half my pain is a lot less, although it seems to change daily amd move to additional, new and exciting locations, I'm doing nearly everything I was before the problem developed and loving it. However, a stumbling block for me mentally has been an anti-depressant medication my doctor prescribed to deal with what he thought were over-firing nerve receptors. Anti-depressants, epilepsy and some other medications are also used for nerve related issues. Although I'm on a very low dose I still need to go off them gradually. I haven't been to the doctor about getting off it because although I'm convinced I have TMS I want to go to my doctor with even less symptoms to convince him. Does that seem like I'm hedging my bets? Also, I joined an acapella group last night and went to my first rehearsal (fun but not quite Pitch Perfect). Anyway while I was there I realized I had forgotten to take the medication and my pain increased significantly. I have been telling subconcsious that the medication does not mean there is anything wrong with me. Not quite sure what to do now.

2. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Zoe,

It's great that you've seen success with the TMS work. Noticing your symptoms move is a great indication of symptom impariitive at play. If you are not already doing so, I'd recommend keeping an evidence sheet to track your symptoms and enforce your belief.

I can understand your need to stop taking meditation. But the question I've always asked myself is, will I be fully functional without meds? Are they providing relief or are they yet another crutch?

I don't think you've realised how powerful your post is, but it appears you are are very anxious to heal. We all are. Without scaring you, for some of us healing from TMS is a life long journey. Since TMS symptoms are the manifestions of a life time of doing, we must really take a very softly softly approach with our inner child. If we are anxious, worry or set ourselves unachievable targets we are setting ourselves up for failure and can trigger new symptoms with greater severity.

If you feel you can absolutely manage the TMS with the knowledge that you've developed, that you could gradually reduce your medicine, of course under your Dr's supervision.

I'm not sure if you are already doing so, but I'd highly recommend that you incorporate mindfulness into your daily routine. Mindfulness, allows one to be more in tune with ones thoughts without reacting or responding. This, allowing you to create a space between you and any toxic thinking or behaviour that may be responsible for triggering your symptoms.

Finally, I'd like to add, please be kind, compassionate and loving to yourself, I know this work isn't easy, but it can be very rewarding uncovering who we really are.

God bless

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Zoe. I like Mike's reply to your excellent post. Be patient and don;t try to rush TMS healing. If you need the medication to function well, stay on it. But don't delay talking to your doctor so you have fewer symptoms to report to him. Or that they are less painful. Don't make that so important. It is far more important for you to feel better, even if it takes more time.

mike2014 likes this.
  4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Zoeinoz,

I love Mike's reply. So tender and attuned. Walt confirms.

I say that you are on an important journey, and taking the meds does not need to stop or continue, either one. Focus on the TMS program you are doing, and let the rest come easily. The meds will neither make or break your Sarno work. The beautiful part is that you feel so good, that you are ready to have less "medical support." That understanding itself, that relaxation about what medical help you need, is more powerful than whether you stop or start something, I think.

Andy B.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2015
  5. Zoeinoz

Zoeinoz New Member

Thank you Mike, Walt and Andy. I have tears in my eyes that I have the support and care of such lovely people...strangers! I really appreciate your kind words and support. I had a flair up today during a stressful Christmas shopping episode with my family but felt much better after reading your responses at home. I sat down and completed an evidence sheet which is definitely reaffirming and concretes my already strong belief in my self-diagnoses of TMS. I have already begun a mindfulness program including meditation and various other tasks thanks Mike. It is a really valuable exercise. I am finding the benefits of being in the moment and not grasping or averting thoughts, sensations etc. just letting them come and go without a struggle. Of course it takes practice. Although I'm feeling more and more ok with the fact that things take time and that somethings are changes for life. Much gratitude.