1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Bonnard as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

when the pain hits...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by mabbott, Mar 10, 2018.

1. mabbott

mabbott New Member

I am interested in hearing what others do in the very moment/moments of actual pain. What is your strategy? When the pain is compelling, I am so unsure as to how to perceive it, deal with it, work with it. It stops me in my tracks, takes my breath away and I feel somewhat paralyzed emotionally AND physically by it. I have read, studied extensively and believe all the TMS science and over 10 years ago came out of crippling back pain. Now the left knee has got me by the throat!! I need some strategies in the moment.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

My strategy is to first accept the pain, assure myself that I am fine and healthy, and so it is nothing to be afraid of. Then I shift my attention off of myself and my body and on to something else--other people, pets, nature, music, movement, creating art, etc. It takes some practice, but gets easier over time.

Lainey likes this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Sarno says to immediately turn your attention to a source of irritation... a financial personal matter that is unsavory. That sends a message to the unconscious mind that you are NOT fooled by the diversion. Remember, Sarno doesn't treat pain...this program is developed to stop it from occurring. It's recurrence means that something is still lurking down there and your Brain thinks it is 'helping' by distracting you.

The other thing I do is challenge the notion. If you have really digested and believe this, the second you become aware of the pain go and use that limb, leg, knee, shoulder. I had a knee 'relapse' the summer I went through my divorce. Everytime it bugged I went skateboarding, cycling, did a sprint...whatever. Something to challenge the Idea that I am injured. I have done this for my knee, my shoulder, my arm, my hip...Never ever has it caused anything but healing. Once you get over the rush of fear it can actually be quite spiritually uplifting.

pax

Lainey and Tennis Tom like this.
  4. Jules

Jules Well known member

I immediately scan my emotional barometer to see what stress or fear is cropping up. Process the emotion. Then, I calm the sympathetic nervous system, and then do it anyway. It really does work. It just takes practice as Pax says.

Lainey likes this.