1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

When resumé activitis

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Daantje, May 9, 2019.

1. Daantje

Daantje New Member

Sorry for my englisch, I m from Holland.
    One Year ago it started with a sequester herniated disk L5S1
    After half a year I got emergensy surgery and woke up in more pain
    Again I followed al kinds of therapies and still have to lay down for about 23 hours a day now. Wheelchair is in now and I can t sit, walk or stand for long time SO I lay down.
    This week I have started the program online and I read a lot about TMS. Very hopefull but also obsesivly with TMS
    My question;
    I try to resumé my activitis as driving the car or walk for 10 minutes. When is the time to built iT up after one year of laying flat in pain.
    I think I go to fast because my pain increases now.
    Thank you!

2. Miriam G. Bongiovanni

Miriam G. Bongiovanni Peer Supporter

Hey Daantje,

I'm sorry you're going through such a tough time! It does sound like the therapies you're having aren't being much help, but may be making you worse as you keep focusing on the pain and your symptoms and feeding the pain cycle.

Since you've been inactive for such a long time you've got to take it easy at first. I would say first learn the basics of TMS from the TMS wiki or by reading the books, so you will gain the knowledge needed to heal, then start doing easy activities on a daily basis, activities that you consider 'harmless' like walking in the corridor or standing up for some minutes as you watch TV. If walking for 10 minutes sounds like too much, start with 3 minutes, then increase gradually, while keeping in mind that the activity should be harmless and good for you. Also, I think before resuming all normal activities, I would suggest stopping your therapies gradually if this is not dangerous to your health, as clearly, these are not making you feel better if you still have to lay down 23 hours a day!

I don't know about the complications of your condition and I am not a doctor, but if you can walk without danger of falling or hurting yourself, I would caution you not to rely on a wheelchair if possible. Simply using it is reminding your brain that you need it. The same for therapies like massage and chiropractors - as you take these therapies, you are focusing on the pain, and you are therefore keeping it alive.

Keep us updated on your program as you work through the online program, and give it some time - it takes a while for the healing to take place.
    All the bestX

3. Daantje

Daantje New Member

[QUOTE = "Miriam G. Bongiovanni, bericht: 109168, lid: 9715"] Hey Daantje,

Het spijt me dat je zo'n moeilijke tijd doormaakt! Het klinkt alsof de therapieën die je gebruikt niet veel helpen, maar je misschien wel erger maken terwijl je je blijft concentreren op de pijn en je symptomen en de pijncyclus voedt.

Omdat je al zo lang inactief bent, moet je eerst rustig aan doen. Ik zou zeggen dat je eerst de basisbeginselen van TMS van de TMS-wiki leert of door de boeken te lezen, zodat je de benodigde kennis opdoet om te genezen, dan dagelijks eenvoudige activiteiten kunt doen, activiteiten die je als 'onschadelijk' beschouwt, zoals wandelen in de gang of gedurende enkele minuten opstaan terwijl je tv kijkt. Als 10 minuten lopen te veel klinkt, begin dan met 3 minuten en verhoog dan geleidelijk, terwijl je bedenkt dat de activiteit onschadelijk en goed voor je moet zijn. Ook denk ik dat voordat ik alle normale activiteiten hervat, ik zou willen voorstellen om je therapieën geleidelijk te stoppen als dit niet gevaarlijk is voor je gezondheid. Het is duidelijk dat je je hierdoor niet beter voelt als je 23 uur per dag moet blijven liggen!

Ik weet niets van de complicaties van uw toestand en ik ben geen arts, maar als u kunt lopen zonder gevaar te vallen of uzelf pijn te doen, zou ik u waarschuwen om niet zo mogelijk op een rolstoel te vertrouwen. Gewoon gebruiken, het herinnert je hersenen eraan dat je het nodig hebt. Hetzelfde geldt voor therapieën zoals massage en chiropractors - terwijl u deze therapieën gebruikt, concentreert u zich op de pijn en houdt u deze in leven.

Houd ons op de hoogte van je programma terwijl je door het online programma werkt en geef het wat tijd - het duurt een tijdje voordat de genezing plaatsvindt.
    Alle bestX [/ QUOTE]

4. Daantje

Daantje New Member

5. Daantje

Daantje New Member

Thank you dear Miriam,
    I think that I want too fast and try too hard and must have more patiënt en be more relaxed about it.
    When I start something I always want to do best and for 200%.
    The other therapies I have ended and now I work almost whole day at the TMS programme.
    Allthought my doubts comes and goes, its is hard to have feath in the not fysical Cause of my pain after SO long and SO Many fear.
    Thnk you for your kind Words

6. Jimnat7

Jimnat7 Peer Supporter

Just keep reading about tms each day. Especially success stories and gradually increase your activity level. You will get there.

Daantje likes this.