1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What's the difference?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by SSG, Jan 24, 2015.

1. SSG

SSG Peer Supporter

Hi everyone. Still working on this pain/TMS. I have recently read that many people (including Pandamonium and Forest--I believe) have said that when they felt pain when walking...they just pushed through and eventually the pain went away. I have had pain in my leg/knee area for over a year. In the last 7-8 months I have been trying to resume my normal life and do everything I did before. The pain only comes when walking...and I walk all day long whether it's exercise or just daily activity. Sometimes I walk specifically not to let the "pain" win, but I still have pain even though I've pushed through. I admit that I have continued to have immense fear...wondering if it will go away, or trying to "fix" it. So, is that the difference...I haven't conquered the fear? Is pushing through not enough?

2. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

this quote says a lot, you are preoccupied with the pain before you walk. You are focused on the body and attacking the pain. As the great doctor said, if one is preoccupied with the symptoms they will persists. try to read the outcome independence article by Alan gordan, it will help.
    You answered your own question right there. Until you alter your relationship with fear the symptoms will continue or they will move (symptom imperative). Fear is there in tms to keep you preoccupied from your emotions. get over the fear and tms loses it's power over you.

Hope this helps. You are on the right track. It might take some time so be easy on your self, and go live life. There is nothing wrong with your body. Goodluck, we are what we believe.

Ryan

SSG and Ellen like this.