1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What's the difference between TMS and MBS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Steve Ozanich, Jan 8, 2014.

1. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh, that explains it all, Forest - BDS = Bodily Distress Syndrome. Simple! fingersinears

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

From the Griswolds to Shakespeare to Per Fink. Love this forum.

3. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

This comic relief has been just great….you guys ROCK!:kiss:

Forest likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm going to google to see what BDS stands for.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I looked up BDS on google and it stands for Bodily Distress Syndrome.

I wonder if European doctors consider it the same as TMS.

6. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Ok, so Forest added another new term!...ha. That oughta clear things up nicely.

My guess is that TMS is here to stay because it's been around for 40 years and in countless internet sites and books. And, also due to the number of young people that have healed from it. Quite a few younger folks write to me in their 20s and 30s who have gotten better from TMS work.

So: We have TMS-the myositis, TMS-the myonueral, TMS-The Mindbody Syndrome, AOS, DPS, MBS, PPD, and now BDS. That should clear everything up acronyminally.

I've seen others too, like HOS (hypothalamic overload syndrome,) and Bracing Syndrome (as Dr. Sopher pointed out to me is "BS"), not to mention the almost TPS and PNPS, and several others that I can't remember now.

A rose is a rose by any other name. So which one wins out? The truth always prevails. It can be denied but not refuted.

SRO

7. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

I hereby pledge allegiance to the term "The Mindbody Syndrome" and will not use any other term in future communication, one definition, under Sarno, irrefutable, with clarity and simplicity for all.

Uncle Lewis: They want you to say grace.... [straining his face to mouth the words] The BLESS-ING!!!
    Aunt Bethany: Oh.
    [everyone at the table folds their hands in prayer and reverently bows their heads]
    Aunt Bethany: I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands - one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
    Clark: Amen.

Ellen likes this.
  8. North Star

And all God's chilun' said, "AMEN!"

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Steve, it's great to know many young people are healing from TMS.
    I wish I had known about it when I was in my teens and twenties.

North Star likes this.
  10. North Star

Me too, Walt. My first twinges of pain and skin issues started when I was about 12. Actually, even before then as when I was a young child, "growing pains" tortured me at night.

11. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I've read how important it is to "live in the present."
    I try that but am not always successful.

It was a hoot this afternoon to be listening on radio to the Metropolitan Opera's new
    English production of my favorite operetta, "Die Fledermaus," and hear the main
    character say "I'm living in the present!" In that scene he was flirting with a woman
    he thought was his maid but was really his wife.

North Star likes this.
  12. North Star

Mindfulness, that's the ticket!

Pretty cool about the opera. I get little thrills when I tune in to the whispers of encouragement that are around us everyday. For me, it came in a Sue Grafton novel I'm reading. Grafton's my go-to writer of choice when I want a fun read. Anyone, in this story there is a double-blind study that has taken place and the researcher talks about the emotional component in medical conditions. He sounds very Sarno-ish.

13. jayshock

jayshock New Member

I've known about Tension Myositis Syndrome (a.k.a. tension myoneural syndrome) since being introduced to Dr. John Sarno's book Mind Over Back Pain (released 1982) about 6 months ago. While it mentions that Tension Myositis Syndrome is also known as Tension Myoneural Sydrome, it makes no mention (to my recollection) of Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation therapy (again..."T.M.S.") as a recommended therapy for what I will call here 'Sarno TMS'.

In my own personal efforts to gather more information about 'Sarno TMS', I have found what seem to me to be alot of instances (especially on the internet) of confusion between what Sarno TMS and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Therapy are. I have found an alarming amount of conversation online where two or more people are talking at length seemingly about the same subject, not knowing that they are both talking about two different things. Are people having Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Therapy through the misunderstanding that it's appropriate treatment for Tension Myositis Syndrome? Or am I simply confused? Is it appropriate?

Tension Myositis Syndrome
    Tension Myoneural Syndrome
    Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation - for which I suggest future use of the acronym TMST (therapy).
    ..and a new one I've seen just on this thread:
    The MindBody Syndrome

Actually, I know I'm confused.

14. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Just offhand, I'd say (jokingly) that MBS means Must Be Stress.

Lotus, LindaRK and Forest like this.
  15. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

I just like to use good old fashioned TMS. Im not so keen on all these different labels for it. I just find it confusing. It only needs one name.

16. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

I agree, Richsimm. A pain by any other name is just TMS.

But since a lot of people don't know what that stands for,
    I think they do have a glimmer of what Mindbody Syndrome means.

17. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Well known member

Everybody wants to be an entrepreneur. I mean no disrespect to any who choose to use a different terminology or acronym, but in my humble opinion, my first impression is that there were some who saw Sarno's work as the next wave of the future - a new gold mine, if you will - and wanted to create a new terminology to gain top billing and make a name for themselves.

When I started learning about TMS, I was actually slightly miffed/offended when I saw other books and websites using a different name/acronym. I couldn't help but feel it was disrespectful for what Dr. Sarno so courageously pioneered while his peers slapped him in the face the whole time. I wouldn't care if he named it "Silly Syndrome" - the man discovered it in our era, he deserves all credit for whatever he wants to name it.

So - as far as I am concerned, I stick with "TMS" all the way!

Lotus and Richsimm22 like this.
  18. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Ok, tigerlilly lou, you win the grand prize. What size Ferrari do you wear? I asked this question to see if anyone could see the truth. What you just wrote here is exactly how Dr. Sarno feels about it. He feels stabbed in the back, disrespected--deeply disappointed. He was the one that took all the verbal and professional abuse up front, in the face of great cynicism. He put his entire career in jeopardy to stand for his patients and for those people who were suffering. Then came the ones that wanted "TMS" for themselves, and there are several.

It hurts his feelings badly when people began to change his work, and his phrases. Those close to him are very angry that people want to do that, and they will not work with those that hurt him. I've been privy to some choice swear words coming from his inner circle that I won't repeat. The saddest part is that he helped some of those people heal, who disrespected him.

It's TMS. Hopefully we will have enough respect for the man to honor that. I was prepared to go with the names I mentioned above because Dr. Sarno was on the verge of a new phrase, but he backed off near the end, telling me in an email, "we can't erase the past." I think his time ran out before he got to a new phase. But he changed the world, isn't that enough for one person?

I told him 2 weeks ago, "Dr. Sarno you changed the world, but the world doesn't know it yet."

Steve

Lotus and Richsimm22 like this.
  19. tigerlilly

tigerlilly Well known member

You sum it all up so beautifully, Steve.
    What is the saying? "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely." Perhaps its an exaggeration, but..........

It saddens me that a good doctor that was so humble to move forward and help so many in spite of the slander is now being put on the back burner and burned by the very ones that he helped heal.

Dr. Sarno is from a generation that we should only wish to be like - to find happiness in helping others without looking for selfish gain for oneself along the way.
    When I scanned Amazon and read all the reviews on all the TMS books out there, I refused to purchase anything by those that used a different name and acronym. It just felt wrong to me, and me being a newbie with TMS, at that.

I hope Dr. Sarno understands that there are many of us out there that have loyalty and who recognize TMS and give credit where credit is due. I would seriously drive my painful body from Florida to New York just to have a consult with him - I wish so badly he was still practicing!

PS: What size Ferrari do I wear? I'll take a healthy and pain-free body over the Ferrari any day! All thanks to Dr. Sarno's founding of TMS!

Richsimm22 and Tennis Tom like this.