1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What type therapy works best for TMS?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by QualityAssured, Mar 16, 2022.

1. QualityAssured

QualityAssured New Member

Before my TMS episode I was seeing a Phycologist who specialized in cognitive behavioural therapy. Given the types of problems I have been having recently, I'm not sure this is the right fit for me. Obviously a therapist who specializes in TMS would be ideal, but I don't live close to any. If I am unable to find a TMS trained therapist who will do telephone sessions, which type of therapy should I be looking for?

Without going into specifics, I have some moderate-heavy childhood traumas and multiple family members who suffer from mental illnesses. Someone who can force me to deal with the emotions would be ideal

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

I would look into EMDR, or ISTDP, or IFS therapists. CBT will not cut it for deep seated emotional processing. I'm sure there are therapists who do sessions over zoom. Your other option is a TMS therapist or a TMS coach...or a combination of a coach and a trauma informed therapist. The combo is probably ideal but it depends on so many factors. Hope this gives you some ideas.

QualityAssured likes this.
  3. MedicineWithin

MedicineWithin Peer Supporter

4. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

NO one can 'force you to deal' with that. I know a lot of new idea's have bled onto this board, but Sarno pointed out that only a small percentage of people needed help (5%.... one out of twenty) from a professional.
    Most of the recovery (if not all) comes from your own education.....about causes and conditions. What is causing your symptoms and what is not. You learn that from learning about TMS in every facet of your life through studying the texts.

A shrink might help by pointing out our own cognitive dissonance, the way a friend might point out I have a booger in my nose I didn't see, but recovery from TMS comes from my own understanding of the RAGE and ANGER that all of my family, friends, co-workers, created that never got expressed.

No outside force can MAKE me understand. Only I can....and in fact what made me finally 'get it' and what has helped me remain pain free this long was my own learning and re-learning about how I really feel....and since all of us are slightly different, no one can guess how I feel in regards to anger and repression. If I rely on an outside 'person' to help me recover, I might get a placebo recovery at best.

If I needed to reach some sort of ultra-clear understanding to recover I wouldn't have , because I am constantly learning new things about my own experience. Mercifully however, TMS healing comes in a toe to toe battle with myself In real time while the symptoms are present...and it is a philosophical one, not an historical collection of details about 'me'.

a symptom comes; I stop and think what anger's might have provoked it? Or maybe this is some kind of conditioning. I forcefully redirect my attention into those two idea's and IGNORE the symptoms . I go about my life like it's not there....and then it isn't.

I am not mentally 'well'. I still get angry, scared, frustrated, depressed... BUT my body has largely turned off the physical response to it, because every time it started , I have trained IT that I will shut it down...so it gave up and went away.

It is good to talk to other people. We are a gregarious species and we like each other.... but relying on the work or attention of another might misdirect us from the real cause..."dealing with emotions" isn't how we recover. It's recognizing the ones we never felt, understanding how our system avoided them, and either expressing them OR acknowledging their presence that disconnects the unconscious symptom imperative.

Mr Hip Guy, Ellen and backhand like this.
  5. Everly

Everly Peer Supporter

Pain Psychology Centre actually does telephone/video appointments as well. I think it's a good idea to email the therapists nearby you, explaining them a bit about your understanding of what is going on for you and see if they are qualified for that? As mentioned before CBT won't cut it. I'd go for Intensive Short Term Psychodynamic Therapy or Accelerated Experiential Dynamic. They are the ones that kind of make you to stop talking, stop being in your head and turning to the emotional experience in the actual moment, which you then can with time apply throughout your general being with self.