1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What to do with recognized anger?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Aterosin, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Aterosin

Aterosin New Member

Hi everyone, I'm 61 in excellent health and have been using Dr. Sarno's techniques for years with great success. On Thursday, Thanksgiving Day I woke up and was not able to put weight on my right Knee. Intense, searing pain. I immediately went over stresses that might be causing the pain and came up with a volatile conversation I had the night before with my 16 yr old son. Today is Sunday, four days later and I am still feeling major pain and barely able to hobble to the toilet. I recognize the anger but frankly, WHAT do I do with that anger? How do I release it from my body? I feel calm, accepting and tolerant but the pain is there. In the past, I have talked to my body to tell it that I can take care of my stresses. It's job is to support me and remain strong and healthy. That has always worked rather quickly in the past until Thursday. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Aterosin. The confrontation with your teenage son very likely has caused your knee pain. You healed before with TMS knowledge, so be confident you will heal again. Teenagers can be a real headache for parents. I never married or was a father, but friends have told me about their teens causing them emotional and physical problems.

You are angry, so maybe write a letter to your son really letting it all out, then tear it up. Also, go into a room by yourself, maybe just the toilet, and scream. Let your anger out in a good scream. Or cry. And believe that "This too shall pass." "The best is yet to come."

Your teenager is probably experiencing hormonal and other issues as he passes from adolescence into adulthood. Try to be patient with him. His own problems may have surfaced over Thanksgiving. Maybe stand back now and let things settle.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Atersosin,
    I like Walt's ideas. One possibility is that you were angry, and this activates Inner Critic, Inner Bully, superego activity. So there is anger, then there is the Inner Child attacked for being angry. Then what kind of feelings might this Inner Child have, that are threatening to your normal identity? What feelings would need to be suppressed? By practicing allowing anger in a safe way, you are making space for you to be you. This ability for you to be yourself, even on an internal level I think helps TMS symptoms. And simply the inquiry into the dynamics helps too.
    Andy B.

4. Aterosin

Aterosin New Member

Andy and Walt, These are great ideas. It's amazing that when we are in the throes of pain we forget some of the basic tenets of Dr. Sarno's program. Of course, I can and WILL do these things! The knee is better (a bit) today and the pain has shifted from the miniscus (inner knee) to the back outside of the knee which further convinces me that it is TMS. I keep telling the knee that I will not be intimidated by the pain and to prove it I took a shower! Thanks guys!