1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What to do when nothing works

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by mdh157, Aug 4, 2017.

1. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

Hello all,

Been twitching along with various other strange sensations for a while. Docs cannot find anything so at this point it has been chalked up to anxiety. My question is, how can I get out of this rut? Still have the symptoms and still worrying it is something terrible despite them not finding anything. Have had meds, did cbt for a while but nothing seems to get rid of them completely and thus, I still have the worry.

Really tired of living like this and have not been in a good mood for a long time.

2. David88

David88 Well known member

Cognitive behavioral therapy is the wrong treatment for TMS. Look for someone who does intensive short term psychodynamic psychotherapy, preferably someone with training in TMS. Check the practitioner guide on this site.

3. pspa

pspa Well known member

That is an awfully categorical statement. Istdp was beyond worthless for me. And many success stories i have read involve a more or less cbt for anxiety approach. This is not a unitary disorder. Different people respond to different approaches.

4. David88

David88 Well known member

Okay, maybe that was a little overstated. Different people find different approaches helpful.

However, ISTDP is the technique recommended by Sarno and Arlene Feinblatt in The Divided Mind.

And for what it's worth, I tried CBT and found it ridiculous. I know others have been helped by it -- to each his own. And while ISTDP was the right treatment for me, it was admittedly a difficult process.

My point to mdh157 is that there are other approaches to try besides CBT.