1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

What to do when having bad or severe attack?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Freedom, Oct 23, 2016.

1. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

Yesterday I woke up with pain and my lower right back. I figured it was strange but probably who would go away after taking a shower and whatnot. A little later in the day I ended up getting pain slightly higher up just about bye bye rib cage. I was a little concerned as a DJ on Saturday night and did not want to deal with that while working. I tried watching some videos and telling myself it was okay and that it would go away comma but it was still on my mind comma and the very last 10 minutes of the night it got quite severe wasn't sure if I was even going to be able to finish working. Which freaks me out as I thought I could lose my job. After this point started noticing pains pop up everywhere my legs started to lock up, tight stiff neck, even my foot buy my big toe cramped up,etcetera.

I was hoping after sleeping it would go away as many things do, but it is still here. It is particularly frustrating having these pains as they are distracting me from my grad school work and I feel like my upcoming assignment is particularly important for me to not fill out of this class and potentially out of the whole grad program. Having these debilitating pains just makes it that much more difficult or even impossible to make continued progress on the assignment. This is particularly stressful. I try to tell myself it will all be okay but I don't know if it really will be.

It is difficult to get out of a car or out of bed or even out of a chair Prince sees anything that would activate that muscle)

So my question is, what do you do in these situations? If I twist my body it just triggers the pain more, as it feels like a pulled muscle. Please help :(

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi andrewbissada,

You are taking the correct approach, in trying to re-assure yourself, and observing your fear. This is the crux of TMS work: to not be swept down into all the fear pathways when experiencing pain. It is something you get better at with time and practice.

Try to see the fear itself as a TMS symptom, and inquire into the fear the way you would pain: What is this trying to distract me from being aware of? What doesn't want to be felt? How might my Inner Child be feeling about ________________ right now? Think psychologically about the fear.

Another approach is to deeply expect and accept the pain. "Of course I have TMS; I am a vulnerable human being who inherited the potential for TMS like all others. Dr. Sarno says everyone has it. So what?" Dismiss it as not important, rather than thinking about how to fix it, or what might happen next.

Sincerely,

Andy B

Ines likes this.
  3. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

you re feelng more pain because you are under pressure with your grad school stuff and work. when those pressures subside so will the pain. Think of it like a 'tightening' in the body because of the 'tightness' of the stress of those things. Afterwards you will 'loosen' naturally. So keep doing your TMS work and in time you will 'loosen' all the time. As soon as we connect the pain with the psychological stresses we are all subject to - the sooner we can 'soothe' ourselves and so not be in pain... good luck